Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Care

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Just wondering what people use to wash and polish their car and also what they use for the leather if you have it. I just got some Zainos car wash and All in one, as well as their leather cleaner and conditioner. I haven't used it yet. Has anyone tried out their all in one product and leather cleaners? I'm not interested in a 5 to 10 step process to get the car in show condition, just a really nice end result with not too much fuss.

R1bloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline Ute
To wash I use karcher car cleaner with a foaming lance and autoglym super resin polish to finish.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Poorboys World wash & wax - vehicle wash
Poorboys World polish with sealant - polish
P21s - wax
Lexol leather cleaner & conditioner - leather
Aerospace 303 - dash n vinyl trim
CRC So easy wet look - tyres
Stoner Invisible glass - glass cleaner

waynebatt

Only milk should be 2L
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
- Get Opti-Coat Pro+ Applied to your car
- Buy a decent pressure washer
- Buy a foam lance attachment and Foaming agent
- Buy Air dryer
- Clean car over and over again without having to physically touch it (no streaks or scratches)

Car looks brand new after every wash!!

Grev156

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon
I've ordered a autobrite lance and snow foam - and considering an air dryer, but not sure which one.
WayneBatt - what air dryer do you use?

waynebatt

Only milk should be 2L
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
I've got the autobrite lance too. Its good...

The dryer i have is a makita electric one. Much more power than the cordless ones :)
8vrmwTWl.jpg

The single best thing you can do for your car is get it Opti-Coated though. Not sure if you have already, but its worth it.

I've ordered a autobrite lance and snow foam - and considering an air dryer, but not sure which one.
WayneBatt - what air dryer do you use?

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
I'm not interested in a 5 to 10 step process to get the car in show condition, just a really nice end result with not too much fuss.

Then have to agree with WayneBatt - should seriously consider a sealant like Opti-Coat and various others, does wonders to reduce the retention of dirt particles to the body and makes cleaning the body (and leather if you get it treated) a breeze, stuff just rinses off. I used Opti-coat on my car exterior, Opti-Guard on my leather.

Ultimately its hard to clean a car properly without a 'series of steps', even without 'show room condition', but like anything, purchasing the right tools of good quality - makes the job easier, quicker and far more effective.

TLDR; version below...

If you snow foam your car and rinse as required before it gets too dirty and making sure you immediately remove bird droppings etc when it happens - its really down to 5 steps for the whole car, inside and out, and takes no time at all.

1. Pre-Rinse and Snow Foam - pressure washer - 5mins + dwell time - do your rims or something while you wait etc??
2. Wash off - pressure washer - gentle setting, roof down to rims and tyres - 5 mins
3. Dry off - Takes the longest if you dont have an air-dryer, takes me about 20+ mins to hand dry my wagon to get all the remaining water runs from cracks.
4. Vacuum interior including all dash crevices and carpet mats etc- 5-10 mins? (usually do this and go back and do a final dry as water runs out of cracks)
5. Treat interior - leather\dash\Tyres - 10 mins

If EXTRA DIRTY - a GOOD pre-rinse, let the snow foam dwell longer and start washing with 2 bucket method and good quality wash mitts and car wash - see below.
Adds maybe 30 mins depending on how dirty, how many 'fresh' buckets of water, how carefully and slow you wash, blah blah.

So ... it costs a bit upfront to get setup properly.. but so did your car I imagine....
Check out 'Car Car Products' sponsor and products in this forum. I purchased all my products through them and they have forum discount for some of their items.

FYI - My 'gear'
Opticoat Body - Tick
Optiguard Leather - Tick
'Gerni' brand pressure washer with aluminium\metal pump etc - Tick
Autobrite - PA \ Quality Foam Lance - Tick
Mint Snow foam liquid - Tick
Duragloss Car wash\Shampoo - Tick
Microfiber wash mitts x 2 - Tick
X Large Waffle Microfibre (good quality) cloths x 3 - Tick
Buckets x 2 and "Grit Guard" - Tick

If used properly with 2 bucket method, good quality microfiber wash mitts and drying cloths are pretty good \ minimal (microscopic) to no damage.
If used poorly \ not rinsed etc.. then yeah .. you will have problems, scratch up your car etc.

An Air Dryer does get down into the nooks and crannies that leaves little bits of water behind when drying with waffle weave cloths, eg mirror edges and the like.
I am still undecided also on the best air dryer to purchase etc. Wondering if I should multi-purpose and get a decent 'leaf' blower sized one - or something like that Makita.

Last edited:

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Opticoat Body - Tick
Optiguard Leather - Tick
'Gerni' brand pressure washer with aluminium\metal pump etc - Tick
Autobrite - PA \ Quality Foam Lance - Tick
Mint Snow foam liquid - Tick
Duragloss Car wash\Shampoo - Tick
Microfiber wash mitts x 2 - Tick
X Large Waffle Microfibre (good quality) cloths x 3 - Tick
Buckets x 2 and "Grit Guard" - Tick

If used properly with 2 bucket method, good quality microfibre wash mits and drying cloths are pretty good \ minimal (microscopic) to no damage.
If used poorly \ not rinsed etc.. then yeah .. you will have problems.

An Air Dryer does get down into the nooks and crannies that leaves little bits of water behind when drying with waffle weave cloths, eg mirror edges and the like.
I am still undecided also on the best airdryer to purchase etc. Wondering if I should multi-purpose and get a decent 'leaf' blower sized one - or something like that Makita.

To OP - check out 'Car Car Products' sponsor and products in this forum. I purchased all my products through them.

So is the opticoat something that you can apply yourself, or is it something that needs to be done by a car detailer?

DruiD

Black is the new RED!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VF Calais-V
Professional mate, Starting at $800 odd for a small car and basic application, to $1000+ for large car application.
Price goes up if your car paint needs 'lots' of correcting before application. Add in Wheel and Leather protection, another few hundred.

But some good dealers around are giving good deals if you do the body, leather, tyres all together etc.
Obviously recommend searching for a good technician in your area, word of mouth etc.

As mentioned, your paint is checked and 'corrected' before its applied, even for brand new cars as dealers often 'rush' the post factory, pre sale prep - so a need a good tech. to correct properly before its coated but generally speaking a new car should be less difficulty\costly than a car that's a few years old and has been washed incorrectly, developed swirls etc.

Link below, obviously do your own research etc, chat to your local car clubs - alternatives are available but I went with Opti.
Opti-Coat Pro Coatings Australia

Last edited:

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Professional mate, Starting at $800 odd for a small car and basic application, to $1000+ for large car application.
Price goes up if your car paint needs 'lots' of correcting before application. Add in Wheel and Leather protection, another few hundred.

But some good dealers around are giving good deals if you do the body, leather, tyres all together etc.
Obviously recommend searching for a good technician in your area, word of mouth etc.

As mentioned, your paint is checked and 'corrected' before its applied, even for brand new cars as dealers often 'rush' the post factory, pre sale prep - so a need a good tech. to correct properly before its coated but generally speaking a new car should be less difficulty\costly than a car that's a few years old and has been washed incorrectly, developed swirls etc.

Link below, obviously do your own research etc, chat to your local car clubs - alternatives are available but I went with Opti.
Opti-Coat Pro Coatings Australia

Sorry to go on about it mate, but is that the same sort of thing that the car dealers offer as "paint protection" when selling you the car, which I declined because there are so many people and threads and forums that say it is a rip off? Is it a rip off because it's not what you are talking about and totally different, or just a rip off because they charge so much?