Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car doesn't start first go, thermo fan turns on after cranking. starts 2nd time

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys.

I'm wondering what's the cause of this issue. My last VT did it and my currently VT does it.
The car would not start and then the electric fan comes on. I have to turn the ignition right off, then turn it back on and then the car will start.

Thanks.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
cool , how's the fuel pressure regulator , how about cleaning your body throttle and I.C.V as well. also clean the contact plate around the key whole. how old is the fob.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Starter motor, and or battery.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Also check Starter Motor Wiring with checking the terminals are tight and clean from oil/grease
and also check all of the Earth's being tight and clean from grease/oil.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I second the contact for the ignition barrel, usually if the earths or wiring is bad the solenoid will "click" due to lack of current, have u tried pouring cold water on the CAS

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
cool , how's the fuel pressure regulator , how about cleaning your body throttle and I.C.V as well. also clean the contact plate around the key whole. how old is the fob.

How does the fpr affect wether the car will crank or not, is there a signal to ecu with fuel rail pressure to allow starting to occur?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi Guys.

I'm wondering what's the cause of this issue. My last VT did it and my currently VT does it.
The car would not start and then the electric fan comes on. I have to turn the ignition right off, then turn it back on and then the car will start.

Thanks.

When you say; "doesn't start", do you mean it cranks and not fires?

If so, I would check the coolant temperature sensor, it's wiring and connection.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
How does the fpr affect wether the car will crank or not, is there a signal to ecu with fuel rail pressure to allow starting to occur?

It doesn't prevent the car from cranking but the OP didn't say his car would not crank, just that it won't start.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
The car cranks perfectly, but many times it will start up the first go then turn off almost immediately, then the electric fan turns on. I am pretty sure are this stage it will not let me even crank while the electric fan is on (have not verified)..... I have to turn the key all the way to off, then turn back on ignition, then it fires up straight away no problem.