Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car enthusiasts beware of NRMA

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
10 characters.

Last edited:

krisolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina V6
Thanks for the warning, mate! We've been using Budget and they seem to be quite fair in their operations.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
We lost a car in last years floods. Found NRMA to be really easy to deal with, had the car inspected, declared a write off and the insurance paid out within about 10 days. Car had been insured for agreed value not market value so we were happy with it all. Also have had the clubby insured with them for years since I found their pricing to be the most competitive and their agreed value on it was more than fair.

Personally I don't see how your friends insurance issue is NRMAs fault.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I didn't think that there was such a thing as a repairable write off anymore. Or is that only NSW?

Just had a look, QLD still has repairable write offs.

Maybe get your friend to go and reclaim the car and tell the insurance company that they no longer wish to proceed with the claim. Then fix the car themselves. That way they still have the car and maybe repaired for less than the buy back value.

Sokoza

Beep Beep
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP GTS
Point of thread:
1. Letting people know that its REALLY hard to buy your car back if you want to.
2. Personally think they didn't try hard enough to repair the vehicle (as water didn't pass the sils to warrent a SWO).

Not saying they don't give great price or are quick for payouts, but just telling my story for others to have a chance to make an educated decision.

Sokoza

Beep Beep
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP GTS
I didn't think that there was such a thing as a repairable write off anymore. Or is that only NSW?

Just had a look, QLD still has repairable write offs.

Maybe get your friend to go and reclaim the car and tell the insurance company that they no longer wish to proceed with the claim. Then fix the car themselves. That way they still have the car and maybe repaired for less than the buy back value.

Correct, In QLD you can have RWO's. Yep the only trouble with that was they had to get the vehicle trucked 350kms home on top of the repair bil since it was sent to Brisbane for inspections, also the cost of the mechanic whom already looked at it locally, so it would have started to add up. That would have been the best option (what i whould have done) to salvage the vehicle but as it was my friends decision to let them proceed and they thought there was no chance NRMA would write it off over an blown engine. It was all a big pickle. Also upon being on the phone to the auction house for an hour coudnt track down the location or date the vehichle would go up for grabs.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Thanks for the warning, mate! We've been using Budget and they seem to be quite fair in their operations.

Hope you never need to make a claim, and if you do your car is exacally as it was when it rolled off the showroom floor, otherwise they will try to find a way to deny your claim. * speaking from experience *

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
JustCar tried to royally shaft me on excess, I switched to RACV. Just car added a $1500 "Car Excess" And after many phone calls they said it was because my vehicle was rare and parts were hard to find. Which was deemed bullshit!
So I went to RACV, Saved on premium & Saved a ton on excess. It helped that I am rating 1 & Had a RACV Membership since I was 18, I'm 24 currently.

Cheers
Mat
with insurance companies there pretty much all the same, but some are worse than others...

RA would probably one of the only insurance mobs id never sign up with. i do alot of RA jobs, some of the stuff they do to cars should be against the law. if you ever get into a prang i hope you like bog... it will either be second hand or repaired 9/10 times... if my boss tries to get new parts on a car they just give the job to another shop that will bog it up or put a crap second hand panel that will have to get the crap bogged out of it...

heres holden bar they authorised to get repaired, wouldnt pay for a new one... if this was my car id be spewing... pretty much 90% of the jobs are like this. i could start a thread on this mob alone, would make you lose your lunch...

2012-11-27133854_zpsc9861aa9.jpg

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
this is why I like Shannons - choice of repairer!

Snoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh rally car
I am disgusted with the NRMA.
I just transfered all of my insurances, house and contents car and CTP away from them.
The reason is they put up the green slip on my Rodeo ute from $680 to $1025 in one year. I rang them and said I think there is a mistake on my policy.
They didn't ask what the mistake was. She knew I was complaining about the 50% increase. So I told them to shove it and got a green slip for $40 more than last year with someone else.
I have been a long term customer of the NRMA. 20+ years, but I will never again give them any of my business.
Oh by the way I saved myself about $300 on the house insurance and insured 2 cars for the same price as one with Shannons, for a higher agreed value.