Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car feel's like it is pulling

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hmmm this is puzzling. Did Holden check for fault codes?

Also have you pulled out the spark plugs and checked the tips? Something to try, process of elimination.

I'm worried about the grey smoke part. Usually means burning oil, and usually caused by worn piston rings.

SPLcamry

1000rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX
No holden didn't check for faults codes as far as we know.

No i haven't pulled out the plugs but i will do that, and if there dirty il replace them with the super dooper good ones lol

damm, i hope it's not piston rings, how much are they to replace ?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
That would be very slack (note, usual) of Holden to not check codes, take 2 secs with a TECH2.

No need to go get $20 each Iridiums or anything (if needed) I find the $40 odd dollar set of Platinums from Bosch to work well.

As for piston rings, how much do you think pulling the whole engine out and taking it down to the block would cost, note heaps. But take it to a well respected local mechanic before anything else (except spark plugs) and see what they think. The Holden apprentices aren't exactly seasoned veterans of engines.

SPLcamry

1000rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX
Yeah will do that, hope fully it is just the spark plugs being really dirty

Damm that sounds like it will cost up into the $1500 mark. If the spark plugs don't make a difference il go through and check all the hoses to the see if they are tight (fuel,water etc) and then check like the sensors to see if any of them have come loose. Thanks for all the helps guys even though it's not really making a difference, lol

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Pungent grey/blue smoke, right at startup only is indicative of valve guides being worn. Oil is seeping down between valve stem and valve guide and collecting in the combustion chamber, and being burnt away when you start the engine.

The same smoke whenever you put the foot in indicates oil entering the combustion chamger whenever you have higher oil pressure. Could be your oil control ringe being worn, or another oil leak into the inlet runner somewhere else, but it's unlikeley.

Usually if there is no / less smoke at idle and more at a 2000 rpm it's oil rings.

For your oil rings to be worn, you can bet your bottom dollar that other things are worn too. If I was in your shoes, I would get a trustworthy mechanic to compression test all 6 cylinders and report back the pressures to you. 150-155KPA is ideal. Under 130 Will be indicative of cylinder leakdown (getting old) and less than 120KPA means full rebuild time.

That being said, 250000 and 155KPA occurs often with the Ecotecs. You can't kill 'em.

the compression test will narrow this down, if just one or 2 have lost compression you could be looking at damage from something else, rather than wear.

Oh and surging / pulling at idle rpm with the foot on the brake ? Vacuum leak would be my first thought, check hoses and lines from Throttlebody to ...wherever it is they go. Actually there is a mild surge that occurs in mine that I put down to the tune I got with the throttlebody. Once every 30 seconds at idle it sort 'of clears its throat' with a rev up to about 1000rpm before dropping back to 700 rpm.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Changed my leads yesterday and it seems to have fixed it and drives so much better.

SPLcamry

1000rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX
thanks for that Tsunamix, Il take it down to our local performace mech and get him to do a full compression test. Also the pulling is also with the brake on and car moving.

stevesvx2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore v6
i work for volkswagen and we have the same problem all the time.
i think your intake manifold is dirty and not letting enough clean air in the engine when taking off
try some upper engine cleaner, and take off the top of your intake manifold and give it a good clean.

it will only cost you about $5 a can of upper engine cleaner