Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car insurance - Windscreen extension option

gprp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sportswagon Omega MY10 SIDI
Hi guys ,

I am about to purchase a new car insurance from CGU .

I am wondering if it's a good idea to purchase a windscreen replacement option.

The policy says :

If you add this option , we will cover the cost to repair or replace the windscreen or window glass if there is no other damage , without affecting your No Claim Bonus and you paying an excess .

What happens if I make the claim and CGU replaces the window , then I decide to move to another insurance company ? Obviously the No Claim Bonus protection is valid if I continue the policy with CGU only (this is the reason why every insurance company is asking your at-fault accidents history during the last 5 years ).

I've contacted CGU today , however they've answered that they cannot advise on other company policies and procedures ... I am concerned that it might affect the premium provided by other insurance companies in case of windscreen replacement by CGU .

Is it another insurance company scam or a practical option?

Please your opinion .

Kind Regards
gprp

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
You'll be right mate, I was insured with CGU for 2 years, claimed 2 windscreens in that time and have had my rating 1 transferred to new insurance company. It's not a scam...you pay for it with a higher premium anyway...

It's dead easy to make a claim too....just ring the o'brien and they do it all for you through your insurance.. Last guy came out to me and said, do you want me to fix or replace? He said, "I can fix it, but either way it costs you nothing"... so it got replaced.

gprp

Reaction score
Members Ride
You'll be right mate, I was insured with CGU for 2 years, claimed 2 windscreens in that time and have had my rating 1 transferred to new insurance company. It's not a scam...you pay for it with a higher premium anyway...

It's dead easy to make a claim too....just ring the o'brien and they do it all for you through your insurance.. Last guy came out to me and said, do you want me to fix or replace? He said, "I can fix it, but either way it costs you nothing"... so it got replaced.

Thanks , thewheeldeal .Now it's clear .

The only question I'd like to ask you is about the transfer of your rating to another insurance company . Have you specified in your quote that you've had 2 at-fault claims ?

BR
gprp

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Windscreen claims are not at fault claims....they don't affect your rating in anyway. You don't pay any excess when claiming a windscreen either.

gprp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks , have a nice weekend mate .

rxv3000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina gen III
only replaced 1 windscreen in 15 years so I dont think it is worth the extra.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
only replaced 1 windscreen in 15 years so I dont think it is worth the extra.

You've been very lucky then, and it's ok to take a punt with a Holden because screens are cheap. Also reasonably safe to take a chance when you live in a city, but if you are a rural resident, the risk of breakage is much higher.

Get a Euro car and see what screens cost. Bloody frightening.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
depends entirely on where you live/drive.

lots of hwy use or rural, definitely get the cover. stop start city driving I wouldnt bother. i make regular trips to sydney from canberra, and even though canberra is 'city' you spend most of time driving 60-80km/h... I've claimed 2 windscreens in 4 years- no excess, no change in premium or no claim bonus, no 'at fault' claim.
the the $40 or so, its worth it. call O'briens and ask for a quote for new one... aint cheap!

have a good read of rta windscreen rego requirements on their website. 2 little stone chips in a certain area and technically your windscreen is no longer road worthy.

oh- and I reccomend people put rego sticker on a fixed side window... new rego stickers for front windscreen is pain in the bum and an unnecessary cost.