Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Insurance.........????

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
does anyone know of insurance for cars that it dont matter if there done up or not as my gf's is due an its gunna cost $1650 for a year, get this we rang one today an it was all good untill we said we have a zorst thay go nope sorry its a risk to them thanks anyway wtf....??? it was only going to cost $545-550 or so it was that for full com as well so does anyone know any other cheaps ones that do any type or car as to been modded, not really modded but ones that arnt too harsh??

cheers

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
wow thats fairly cheap is that full com ? n if so how much u insuranced 4

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Yeah, it pays to shop around, and there ain't no easy way out if you are young or it is your first insurance...the slap you hard...and you just ahve to wear the huge premiums until you can build up to rating 1 and get decent prices... :bang:

Couple of suggestions from someone who has been through it all...try and find "agreed value" insurers. It can cost a little more, but at least if the worst happens, you won't get a shrug of the shoulders and "hey, it's only an old Commodore, here's a couple of grand" no matter what you have done to it or how nice it was... :mad:
Start out with basic fire and theft, and build up a rating over a couple of years...each year go up a level or two in the insurance, and your rating will rise with it, until you are at rating 1 on full comprehensive.
ANY modifications you have, be sure to tell the company...ANY modifications you make while the car is insured, ASK the company BEFORE you do it. It isn't being old-fashioned or square, they expect to be told, and if you read the fine print, usually HAVE to be notified before mods are done.
If you don't they can knock you back for the silliest little reason...my sister had a huge reduction in a payout for an accident when they noticed the slightly raised Old Man Emu suspension kit on her Land Rover..."might have made it unstable and contributed to the accident possibly"...really? How would it contribute to the guy who flew through a stop sign and broadsided her? (and how come there isn't a "wanker" icon I can stick in here... :D ) , it was as simple as that. They'll use any excuse possible to get out of returning some of the money you have faithfully paid out over the years... :ranting:

Decent insurance is available, but you have to search around.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Budget Direct is who I've gone through, and alot of friends and family. They were the cheapest one I found, although I only looked around at some of the bigger companies.

http://www.budgetdirect.com.au/

Check that out and do an online quote to get a basic reference. Hope this helps.

ENV5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec, VC SL/E V8, 2x Lada Nivas
sgic are quite cheap to its gunna cost me $550 for a year for mine comprehensive

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I've had a nightmare with insurance the past 3 - 4 months with the new car ranging from sure we can insurance here's a nice 4 figured sum because it's S/C or sorry we are unable to insure you until you are 30 because of the S/C.

In the end I'm getting it for at the moment for $522 through CGU per year. This was before they classed me as a rating 6 as I've never had insurance in my own name. After speaking with AAMI they would give me rating 1 no questions asked so I went back to CGU and say how come I can get Rating 1 insurance through them and not with you. After she made a phone call she gave me Rating 1.

Mods is where it gets interesting, when I install the rockers, extractors, pulley upgrade amongst a couple of other goodies this weekend CGU won't touch it, so AAMI seems to be the next best thing @ $752 including the stereo with a $350 excess I think it was.

I've rung many difference insurance companies and have come to the conclusion whilst Allianz is cheap for house insurance they would do have a bee in their bonnet with Commodores!

All in all I lost $22 which was an admin fee for AAMI because I cancelled the insurance but considering I went from Rating 6 to a Rating 1 for $22 I am laughing.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I did a few quotes online, are they the real deal or are they cheaper in real life?

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Can someone explain to me why I'm paying $1600 a year for full comprehensive and that was the cheapest I could find? I'm 21 AND a P plater so I know that'd boost the price, and the car is valued at about 15k, but boosting it 1 grand for that is insane. No mods, and no previous claims. Been insured for just over a year now.

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
Spyper I think you are being ripped off big time....I am 34 and Mike is 24 and on P plates (cos he has come from NZ and had to resit our stupid license system even though he's been driving for 9 years in NZ..go figure) anyway, and we only pay $900 a year for a $26,000 car. We are insured with Western QBE. No I don't have No claim bonus because I went out of the country and didn't insure any cars for 3 years so I lost it (sux hey!) Some were extremly high because he is only 24 and it's a V8 (some wouldn't even insure us). We too have full comprehensive insurance...