Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car just stops

greg644

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Commodore
Hey Guys,

I have a problem that is costing me time money and lotsa grey hair.
Car is a VS BT1, sometimes it will not start, tries to start, seems like it has plenty of battery ( battery has been tested and is fine).
Sometimes it will start if ya give it 5 minutes, sometimes not.
Sometimes it takes hours and hours, overnight even.

To make matters worse it has now stopped twice, once on the way home from work, once on the way to work.;
Engine just cuts out and i have to find somewhere to quickly pull into, both occasions i have come back within a couple of hours and it would not start, however once i had to leave it overnight and it started first time next day, other time it was left for 12 hours and once again it started first time.

I had a mobile electrician look at it but unfortunately it was running fine at the time, he thought it was the ignition module so he gave me a test bulb for me to use next time it died.
I did this and the test bulb behaved the way he said it would so i got another module and put it in , no change, btw, just a plug for Narellan Wreckers, they let me return it and gave me my money back.

Anyway guys any help would be greatly appreciated, i am at my wits end and this is costing me time off work which i can ill afford

ren11000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE A4
VS BT1, v6 or v8? if v6 try a crank angle sensor

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Check for error codes (there are instructions in the how to section - very easy, just need a paperclip). I would bet that you have code 46 or 47, which is the all too common crank angle sensor. Will cost about $100 to $150 to get a new one fitted.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
ren11000, judging by his ride, it looks like a VS BT1 SS (v8).

But yea greg644, just get the error codes and we can look them up for you if you dont have the list.

TigerMicaMiss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
That's what mine was doing! and I still worry that it may do it again! I wouldn't take it on the freeway coz I was too scared! and yep it was the crank angle sensor...silly commodores!

danwag50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hi I have just posted a thread with exact same problems. Did you end up fixing it? Was it the crank angle sensor?