Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car randomly drops/loses power/stalls?

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 253 Project - BMW 328i Coupe Daily
I have been driving my car around today and have just recently noticed a problem with it (only started occurring today)

It started when i put my foot down a bit to overtake, the car lost power for a good second before kicking down a gear.... was quite weird

Then tonight i went to go for a drive, the car lost power when pulling out of a street, then completely stalled in the middle of the road (lost power steering, everything) and then would refuse to start (machine gunning) for about 30 seconds.

I took it back to my estate and then drove around the small courts and it does it normally when turning corners, especially the bowls of the courts. It either loses power for a second then kicks back, or just stalls completely and struggles to start...

Any ideas? Its for my VT S1 S pack btw... auto v6. Could it be transmission problem or more engine problem?

Cheers

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Does it Sputter like it's not getting any fuel. when you turn the key to the on position can you hear the fuel pump prime.

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
I had the exact symptoms driving my partners ef falcon. The problem with hers was an electrical connector had come slightly loose on the LPG system, causing a solenoid to open/close randomly as it shook around...

not sure if it's the same thing or if yours is even on LPG but worth a shot

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I have a similar problem, I am hoping someone on here has a solution. Mine does not stall but does hesitate when I put the foot down. getting new plug leads and fuel filter next week. Already has new plugs and coilpack

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Did any warning lights come on?

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
gday guys, i have spoken to people including my mechanic and they say fuel pump, or not enough fuel pressure in the line... weird thing is though that it only happens when i turn right, and the car doesnt hesitate to start if it has been parked in the driveway for a little while

my partner put a full tank of petrol in it and it doesnt go to stall anymore, but she says it still has a lack of power and runs really rough

would you recommend just a service, or a check, or should i pay the $250 to replace the fuel pump, which was only replaced 12 months ago?

cheers

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
lad, i have had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM and am still havin it!! you'll see my topic i just posted about it. i replaced my fuel pump by myself it was easy - my car was doin the same stalling when turning right - im assuming its an incorrectly fitted fuel pump assembly im waitin for a reply to confrim this though but i'd say thats what it is man..

- stalls on low fuel when turning right (fuel sloshing away from the pick up on the assembly)

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
let me know how you go mate with replacing it... my mates and i have done it on a couple of vs's and if it fixes your problem i should just get it done myself.
it doesnt do it on a full tank which explains the stalling

cheers

melabrina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi - just wondering if you srted your problem - as i have the same issue!

Hi - just wondering if you srted your problem - as i have the same issue! ( stalls on low fuel when turning right (fuel sloshing away from the pick up on the assembly))

lad, i have had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM and am still havin it!! you'll see my topic i just posted about it. i replaced my fuel pump by myself it was easy - my car was doin the same stalling when turning right - im assuming its an incorrectly fitted fuel pump assembly im waitin for a reply to confrim this though but i'd say thats what it is man..

- stalls on low fuel when turning right (fuel sloshing away from the pick up on the assembly)

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
+1 fuel issue

a swirl pot is in the fuel tank and when you corner it holds fuel close to the pump so that it doesnt suck air
i would in the above case connect a fuel gauge and then drive it until it died
when it died if the pressure of fuel was low only on corners then i would check/replace pump and check if swirl pot was in place correctly
if pump was at fault normally there would be an intermittant no starting fault as well... or long cranks

if pressure was good when fault occured i would be checking for codes and for loose or shorting wires on ignition module air flow meter and crank sensor