Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car seems loose when turning

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi All, I have done a search and couldn't find anything matching what I have experienced (although I am not computer savvy). Anyway my issue is when turning my car seems loose. Recently I had to change a tyre and my car didn't seem right after that. I took the wheel off and put it back on again to check but it still feels loose when turning. Any thoughts on what the issue could be, have I simply not put the wheel on properly when I changed the tyre or could there be something else? Car is 2006 VZ Exec. No vibrations or anything like that.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hi All, I have done a search and couldn't find anything matching what I have experienced (although I am not computer savvy). Anyway my issue is when turning my car seems loose. Recently I had to change a tyre and my car didn't seem right after that. I took the wheel off and put it back on again to check but it still feels loose when turning. Any thoughts on what the issue could be, have I simply not put the wheel on properly when I changed the tyre or could there be something else? Car is 2006 VZ Exec. No vibrations or anything like that.
If you were driving on a tyre with low pressure for quite some time this may have made your steering feel heavy and you got used to it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
it still feels loose when turning
A 'Merican term for a car that handles like a bag of potatoes. :)

Is the spare a matching size ? Is the tread depth OK ? Is the 'looseness' turning to right or left ? Does it track in a straight line when not turning?
If you are unsure of any of these or don't understand, take it to a tyre place for advice before you get to enjoy the scenery up close.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Is the tyre on backwards? It might be spinning the wrong way

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Every answer is a guess until we know if the tyre was
New ? Old ?
Smaller/larger than the rest ?
Crappy spare 19 year old ?
etc etc etc etc
If the tyre you fitted is new then it will drive lighter (loose)
Another important question is, how did you jack the car ?
Have you possibly broke/bent sumting ? during the jacking process.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
How is the tyre pressure? Most people forget to check the spare for tyre pressure, so when time comes to use it, it is low

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Give him a chance for fecks sake, he did only post it the day before!

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
If you were driving on a tyre with low pressure for quite some time this may have made your steering feel heavy and you got used t
How is the tyre pressure? Most people forget to check the spare for tyre pressure, so when time comes to use it, it is low
Pressure is fine. I check my spare as I have been caught out by that before. I have checked them all since.