Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car stalling after installing chip and bored out throttle body

Chloe03

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore 3.8L
Hey guys. I’ve just installed a 69mm bored out throttle body and a performance chip from mace engineering. Car won’t start unless pumping the accelerator and once it does start it cuts out at 2000rpm. Will hold revs at anything higher. Do I just need to let the chip reset? Or is it a bigger issue.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
chip is probably corrupted...put factory memcal back in & if runs fine you know what issue is.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Perhaps contact those who sold it.

Chloe03

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore 3.8L
So I got it to start, rookie error left a hose off to the throttle body. Starts fine but driving is now stuffed, feels like the car doesn’t know what to do when it should be changing gears, and will struggle to hold a speed say 110 it will start to stutter/choke until I give it a little and it’ll clear. Is this just the chip not adjusting yet or something else?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Previous advice was to put the old chip back in.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
aaaaah another dud Mace tune, seem to be pumping out more shoddy tunes than they do working ones lately.

Put the original tune back in and go yell at mace.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Mace have been having a number of tune issues lately, another thread mentioned the owner was having some personal issues at the moment and was sub-contracting the tunes out, high return rate for memcals and difficult to get fixed, customer service had dropped off substantially etc...

I would also assume you told them you were fitting the T/B? Don't assume that anything tune related was changed just based on them coming in the same box.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
X2 sounds just like an oversized TB added to anything if the tune didn't call for it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It does sound like a faulty tune. A larger throttle body won't cause the symptoms listed. Fitting a larger TB and not modifying the tune will screw with the transmission shift points mainly.