Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car stereo issue

CommVTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S pack
Hey Guys,
I have a Alpine ida-x303 head unit in my commodore with front splits running off an amp, rear door speakers running off head unit and a sub running off its own amp. Had it installed about 7 months and all has been well.

Until I had my aircon fixed and the bloke had to take out the head unit and now I have this weird issue. When using radio everything works fine, all speakers plus sub run, but if I run my iPod instead only the rear speakers will work, no fronts no sub.

Basically, when I push the button on my head unit to run my iPod both amps lose power and only rear speakers work.

Sounds really strange to me IMO, does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks in advance,
Scotty

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
its possible the aircon bloke has accidently sliced into the ipod cable. Get him to check it. Make sure you tell him that it only started to do this when the aircon was fixed. if that is what happened.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Might even be that he's connected the Antenna control to your remote wire instead of the proper turn-on wire?
Are the amps still on when your Ipod is playing?

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Possible...... But why would he touch the wiring loom other than to unplug it from the stereo and re plug it in? Could have ripped out the wiring loom from the car harness and incorrectly rewired it.

CommVTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S pack
the iPod cable is fine, it still plays music from the iPod. The amps are totally off when you play through iPod.
If he changed any of the wiring in the loom I wouldn't think the amps would work on radio then.
I'm taking it down to a friend of mine now and see if he can help me.
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll keep you updated.

scotty

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well if he's connected your remote wire to the power antenna wire then there would only be power to that wire when the radio is on, any other source and the power is cut (as the antenna is not needed its meant to retract). So this would explain why radio works fine, but switching to another source causes the amps to turn off.

Yeah Luke i dont know what he would be playing around with that but you never know, just sounds likely to me with the symptoms given.

CommVTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S pack
Well if he's connected your remote wire to the power antenna wire then there would only be power to that wire when the radio is on, any other source and the power is cut (as the antenna is not needed its meant to retract). So this would explain why radio works fine, but switching to another source causes the amps to turn off.

Spot on.
Didn't get to see my mate so checked out the power cable and realised.
Swapped it round and everything is back to normal.

Thanks for your help guys.
scotty

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Good to hear it was an easy fix.