Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Stereo Problem...

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
G'day guys, had a quick search but couldn't find anything similar.
Today I was just driving along as normal with my music on and then all of a sudden all the speakers cut out but the sub was still working perfectly.
Sub is running off a monoblock and speakers are just running off of the headunit.
I have never had a problem with my stereo and this has just come out of nowhere. I haven't touched, altered or fiddled with a thing.
I'm completely stumped.
To sum up, speakers not working but sub still works perfectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
GodLyk

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
sounds like the amp or a fuse in the HU went.

What HU and speakers are we talking about - be as specific as possible, don't just say Sony HU and some Pioneer speakers.

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
sounds like the amp or a fuse in the HU went.

What HU and speakers are we talking about - be as specific as possible, don't just say Sony HU and some Pioneer speakers.

The speakers aren't running off an amp but the monoblock fuse is fine.

I'm running a JVC KW-XR616 Double Din H/U.
The fronts are 6" Kicker Internationals. Not sure about the wattage or RMS cause I don't have the packaging anymore.
The rears (Parcel Shelf) are 6.5" Clarion 3-Way speakers, 355w max, 55rms.

All speakers are running off the H/U.

Sent from my GT-I9300

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
The speakers aren't running off an amp but the monoblock fuse is fine.

Your HU HAS an amp in it to run the speakers. Do you run the system hard?

There is a fuse in the back of the HU but I imagine it would only protect the entire until.

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Your HU HAS an amp in it to run the speakers. Do you run the system hard?

There is a fuse in the back of the HU but I imagine it would only protect the entire until.

Oh ok then, does it make a difference that the H/U is still 100% functional?
And where about would the fuse be on the H/U?

Nah I don't run it hard at all, maybe a couple of times a week I'll have it loud enough that someone would be able to hear it outside the car.

Sent from my GT-I9300

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's on the back, but I don't think that will be the issue - If you run decent speakers off a HU they will drive the built in amp much harder than it is designed to go which is why I asked if you run it hard - your speaker amp in the HU could overheat and give out.

It does sound like a problem with the HU's amp especially as the pre-out to the SUB amp is working ok.

I don't think I can help much more than that other than to say if she's in warranty look for that invoice.

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
It's on the back, but I don't think that will be the issue - If you run decent speakers off a HU they will drive the built in amp much harder than it is designed to go which is why I asked if you run it hard - your speaker amp in the HU could overheat and give out.

It does sound like a problem with the HU's amp especially as the pre-out to the SUB amp is working ok.

I don't think I can help much more than that other than to say if she's in warranty look for that invoice.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but then thought that if that was the case surely the H/U would be stuffing up as well.
Nah warranty has run out so that's a no go as well.

Ok then, cheers anyway mate.

Sent from my GT-I9300

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the amp in the HU is gone, and you have a spare pre-out a cheap amp would be a possible fix. But you'd want to be sure that is what's happened.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
before getting too far ahead of ourselves, check the wiring at the back of the headunit, and the wires at all 4 speakers.

if any of the speaker wires short out against each other or the body of the car, the amplifier inside the headunit will go into protect mode(usually only for so long before it fries the amplifier chip), so turn the unit off until you find the problem. kenwoods show "protect" on the screen as an example, jvc im not sure of.

the fuse on the back of the unit is for the power supply, so unit would not power on if it was blown.

MrGodLyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Yeah I'm thinking of going out and buying an amp for the speakers as well but Cbf having to do it all again with the wiring kit.

Uhmm, yeah my H/U comes up with "Restricted" if something shorts, so its not that otherwise the H/U becomes unusable.

Now, I just went out to the car and it all worked perfectly, so I turned it off and then put it back on again and it just did the same thing and all the speakers cut out but with the sub still working.
Uhhh I'm confused. Haha

Sent from my GT-I9300