Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car turns over, runs for about half a second, then shuts off

Alexander Cummings

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
1998 series 3 ecotec vs Ute. Went to move it this afternoon. Waited for the revs to drop and then it turned off. Tried to turn it on a couple more times and would run for half a second then turn off. Turned over everytime but would either run for a second, then turn off, or would shake around and try to start.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Try bridging fuel pump relay to see if it keeps running.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Make sure your MAF is plugged in.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
1998 series 3 ecotec vs Ute. Went to move it this afternoon. Waited for the revs to drop and then it turned off. Tried to turn it on a couple more times and would run for half a second then turn off. Turned over everytime but would either run for a second, then turn off, or would shake around and try to start.
Sounds like a vats problem to me?
vats = vehicle anti theft system.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Sounds like a vats problem to me?
vats = vehicle anti theft system.

^^^ this. Below about 400 rpm the ignition module provides the ignition and injection signals - and the initial running at starting. Above that rpm the control is passed to the engine management system. So, if the security conditions aren’t met, it will stall.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67

Could possibly be a fuel pump power problem. When you first key on the PCM will prime the fuel pump and squirt some fuel into the cylinders, once the engine gets oil pressure that activates the fuel pump relay to keep it running.

Bridging out the fuel pump relay is a simple way to bypass the oil pressure switch to test and the relay.

Wiring diagram attached.

Attachments

• VSV6 Auto Wiring Diagram.pdf
    118.3 KB · Views: 23

Alexander Cummings

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Try bridging fuel pump relay to see if it keeps running.
Sorry but could you explain what that means, I haven’t really worked on cars so I don’t know much ahaha. I did swap the efi relay with another and nothing happened. If that gives the same result. Cheers

Alexander Cummings

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Could possibly be a fuel pump power problem. When you first key on the PCM will prime the fuel pump and squirt some fuel into the cylinders, once the engine gets oil pressure that activates the fuel pump relay to keep it running.

Bridging out the fuel pump relay is a simple way to bypass the oil pressure switch to test and the relay.

Wiring diagram attached.
How do I bridge the fuel pump relay? Not to sure what bridging a relay means