Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car upgrades?

kurtbarker

Reaction score
Hey guyz, I have a 1984 VK Berlina, stock Black 202, 3.3 EFI, stock exhaust, no modifications.

So i'm wondering, what can I do to my car [without replacing the engine] to get it to preform better. Exhaust? etc.

Could you please put in replies what I can get for my car, the cost of the parts, some possible places where I can get it from [i'm in sydney btw], and how much it would cost to get it installed. I've heard of these K&N filters too, so any information on those and anything else would be great...

At the moment i'm more keen on things that will enhance performance rather than things that will only make it look better, etc

Thanks

Last edited:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Tough one here. Personally I dont think a K & N panel filter will help much on a standard engine, may marginally but I doubt it. The reason to go to a K & N is for better air flow if the engine is starving for air you get this on a modified engine after major head work. I used a normal filter for a while when waiting for my K & N to dry when I had my hot 202 in and it would be hard to say if it actually made any difference. Except I did have less induction noise so it did sound "slower" even if it wasnt.
You cant really install a pod filter (illegal) easily without some creative adaper piping to your airflow meter.
I would say extractors back exhaust would be your best bet, probably around the 2 1/4 inch.
After that, get your injectors cleaned and a kit put through them.
Use good spark plugs I tried a variety of plugs when I had my 202 and the best performing ones were the denzo or AC delco plugs from holden I used to gap mine a bit smaller than standard around 1.3mm.
Other than that I would be saying start saving your money to build a new engine.

cheers
Scott

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
You have a fuel injected VK dont you?

The fuel injectors deliver metered amounts of fuel tot he engine. over time these gum up and dont spray the fuel properly. Having them cleaned will correct spray issues and a kit for them normally consists of new sealing O-rings and a fuel strainer (basically like a filter)

R

ripfast

a pod filter will give small gain, but you need to filter the rear rocker brether that attaches to your air box, other than that timing. You really need to pull the motors down to get decent power, i got 140kw untuned no vaccum advance auto and have since made some mods that would push it over the 160 easy, and my rebuild cost less than 1600