Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car will not start (starter motor?)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the starter will only crank over for a second or two and then it stops, then it sounds like its gonna either be a problem with the battery, the wiring, or the starter motor. Try this, turn the headlights onto high beam and then crank the starter, do the headlights dim heaps, or do they just dim slightly?

FirstVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS.II Commodore Executive
This is just a guess, but could it be the fuel pump relay? To test, see if the low beam headlights work - they are on the same relay as the fuel pump, so if the headlights work, you can eliminate the fuel pump relay as the problem.

Another guess: crank angle sensor. I know these were more of a problem in pre-VT Commodores, but it's another possibility.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
This is just a guess, but could it be the fuel pump relay? To test, see if the low beam headlights work - they are on the same relay as the fuel pump, so if the headlights work, you can eliminate the fuel pump relay as the problem.

Another guess: crank angle sensor. I know these were more of a problem in pre-VT Commodores, but it's another possibility.

The low beams are not on the same relay as the fuel pump.
They are on a completely different circuit.
Two relays for the head lights....low beam relay and high beam relay.
One for the fuel pump.

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Finally tracked my non-start problem to the dead battery in the remote! the 'answer' was in my hand all the while. going to drive home after racking up a massive parking bill being unable to start the car...

FirstVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS.II Commodore Executive
The low beams are not on the same relay as the fuel pump.
They are on a completely different circuit.
Two relays for the head lights....low beam relay and high beam relay.
One for the fuel pump.

Thanks - I stand corrected.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Finally tracked my non-start problem to the dead battery in the remote! the 'answer' was in my hand all the while. going to drive home after racking up a massive parking bill being unable to start the car...

Unless the VX is different. I had a flat battery in my remote (VT) for about 6 months, but the car still started. :hmmm:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Unless the VX is different. I had a flat battery in my remote (VT) for about 6 months, but the car still started. :hmmm:

The key reader/immobiser system doesnt use the battery in the key, it gets its power straight from the key reader on the vehicle, so a flat battery in the remote should not stop the vehicle from starting (unless theres a problem with the key reader etc).
The battery in the remote is only used for the remote control lock/unlock/boot release buttons.. Check the key reader for bad contacts etc.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
The key reader/immobiser system doesnt use the battery in the key, it gets its power straight from the key reader on the vehicle, so a flat battery in the remote should not stop the vehicle from starting (unless theres a problem with the key reader etc).
The battery in the remote is only used for the remote control lock/unlock/boot release buttons.. Check the key reader for bad contacts etc.

I realise that Brett. It's just the OP said he had a flat battery in his remote and that was the reason his car would not start.
But as you said and I know, that a flat battery in the remote, wont stop the car from starting.
Just seems a bit strange.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Guys when you say it won't stop the car starting, a few years back my VT would start then stall almost immediately. It might do it 3 or 4 times, then it would be all good. I think maybe my auto sparky said it was the key battery (maybe someone else, can't remember) but had the key head replaced, all good since. Consequently when I read this thread the flat battery thing came to mind. So from what you're saying that wasn't it? If not, well I'm confused now. Did the Holden stealership do something else and slug me for the new key anyway?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Guys when you say it won't stop the car starting, a few years back my VT would start then stall almost immediately. It might do it 3 or 4 times, then it would be all good. I think maybe my auto sparky said it was the key battery (maybe someone else, can't remember) but had the key head replaced, all good since. Consequently when I read this thread the flat battery thing came to mind. So from what you're saying that wasn't it? If not, well I'm confused now. Did the Holden stealership do something else and slug me for the new key anyway?
Got me beat....
As I said before, I had a flat remote battery in mine for about six months....had to open the boot with the glove box button
and the doors manually with the key.
Never stopped the car from starting though.

But as Brett said above, the battery is only for the remote locking. doors and boot.
The key reader (metal strip) on the ignition barrel reads a program in the key head to allow the ECU to start the engine.

The contact on your old key head may have been dirty etc and was not making good contact with the reader on the ignition barrel.
Getting a new key head with a good clean contact on it may have solved the problem.
Same goes with the OP.