Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Window Tinting - DIY question

T

thestayer

Hi (newbie here so be kind to me)

I blew all my cash on my VT so I am strapped for cash at the moment. I have some spare tint which is pretty good quality stuff enough for 2 cars. I wont say where I got it from :shutup: It's not stolen or anything so don't send the cops around just probably not ethically gained.

Before I destroy my car I am going to do my sisters tinting so if I stuff it up on her car it doesn't matter.

I have a pretty good idea what to do and will be using a great little online tint video that is on a Melbourne tint shops website (I am not sure of the regulations on this site so I wont promote it). They make it look sh*t easy to do so really confident I can do it myself.

My question is in this video they look like they use a special tint blower. It looks like a normal hair dryer. Has anyone ever diy tinted themselves? Can I use a hairdryer like the video?

any clues from anyone would be great

B J

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTS
G'day,
I have done tinting on 2 cars myself. I learned from seeing a mate of mine in the game do it. I dont have a dryer so couldnt use one. I had some moisture in a few spots but over 2-3 days it will disappear. It got less and less. Great Idea to practice on ur sisters car. I tinted my work car myself as up here in Nth Qld it gets very hot and it wasnt worth spending the money on a professional job. Then again I have seen some professional jobs and they weren't too flash hot. I had to get 2 of my windows done again on my commodore and that was done by a pro.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
yeah your talking about the tint professore web site lol i seen the add to.......how silly thay are in showin you how to do it...........lol ( i bet thay loose a few jobs like that........for how hard it is i wouldnt have clue...from what i seen on that web site it look pretty easy.........ya could always get a spare side window and parctice on that....saves the sister belting you around ya head lol.........the only thing that stops me from doing my own is my car is (it dont have any squeeks or ratles in it) and knowing my luck when i put it all back to gether it will rattle and roll and make all kinda noises...............lol........good luck with it i hope ya get all the bubbles out..........cheers............................

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
thestayer said:
My question is in this video they look like they use a special tint blower. It looks like a normal hair dryer. Has anyone ever diy tinted themselves? Can I use a hairdryer like the video?

looks like they're using a heat gun or hot air blower. i would have thought one of them would generate too much heat for window film but obviously not.although i'd use one with caution around tint.
a hair dryer would probably be safer it'd just take a bit longer.

i've DIY tinted myself in the past
the most important thing to watch out for is make sure the glass is spotlessy clean
any little speck will be magnified many times once the film goes on

justbad4you said:
.how silly thay are in showin you how to do it...........lol ( i bet thay loose a few jobs like that.

they're not that silly
did you notice they also sell the film so you can DIY
they make a profit on that & don't have to pay someone to put it on
and when the person at home stuffs it up & brings it into them to get done properly they get another bite at the cherry.
i'd say more good business sense ;)

Last edited:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
yeah true..............i bet thay dont pay the guys who tint the car all that much $$$$..............i wonder what the film costs? i wouldnt be botherd doing it all. taking off doors,trims and all that other stuff,,,,,for what thay charge $260 full tint lasttime i looked i would let them do all the fiddely work...........i ait run into any 1 who has been tinted by the profesore yet................any of you guys had it done by the tint proffesore?................cheeers

T

thestayer

Thanks guys. I am starting to get a little scared doing it now. It doesnt matter about my sisters car. She is o/s for 6 months and it is a crap heap so as long as it is right on or off - she wont care.

I may have underestimated the fiddley side of things etc. I can forsee this being a pain. Looks easy on the video but that will be deliberate I am sure. As someone said they want you to try yourself so you stuff it up. My ride will be different anyway. For the sake of saving $250 odd I am rethinking now. Someone else I know is willing to buy the tint off me so I might just offload it and get it done professionally.

I am pretty happy going with the company you guys mentioned up there. They did my mates VR and really looked after him. His car turned out sensational. He had one little mark on his new tint after they did it. He showed me I could hardly see it and they stripped it off and redid it for him without him even asking. They seem pretty good to me.

R

RKZ234

justbad4you said:
yeah true..............i bet thay dont pay the guys who tint the car all that much $$$$..............i wonder what the film costs? i wouldnt be botherd doing it all. taking off doors,trims and all that other stuff,,,,,for what thay charge $260 full tint lasttime i looked i would let them do all the fiddely work...........i ait run into any 1 who has been tinted by the profesore yet................any of you guys had it done by the tint proffesore?................cheeers

Yes. I've had 3 vehicles done by Tint Professor at Rooks Rd NUNAWADING and referred a quite few people too.

Between us, we have only had one minior problem with the film on one window, which was put down to an installation issue. It was replaced without hesitation.

BTW, Tint Professor Nunawading tint for, Etheridge Ford, Patterson Cheney Holden, Ringwood Mazda, Nunawading Chrysler & Hyundai and others, so why pay the dealers $600 for a job you can get done for $260?

Last edited by a moderator:

vxwagon

Video Producer /Cameraman
Reaction score
Website
www.jetvideo.com.au
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
i had my car tinited by tint professor.
they do a great job!
heres a pic of one of my cars with tint.
Dont bag it cos its a ford!

049_RFH657.jpg

R

radadore

car tinting video

Wear can I findf this video???

I woud like to see if I will.