Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car won't start. Electrical problem.

mr031

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
you need to load test the battery and see if it's voltage drops too much when it's under a heavy load, an auto electrician can do this or you can put a volt meter on the battery while your cranking it.
Key will still start the car with a flat battery in it, the battery is just to open the doors.
The fact your having to take the key in and out several times could mean there is a problem with the contact around the ignition barrell that the key contacts with.

plus 1 agreed

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Ah k. I'll test it myself with my voltmeter and just get dad to either mark the readout or crank it. What sort of drop should i expect when cranking?

Also I haven't had the problem since using the new key so idk what's going on. Contact points sound possible though. If it keeps happening, what should I do with the ignition barrel? Replace it? Are there ways to repair it? Would prefer not to take it to an auto sparky again as it was $88 last time and he couldn't get it to fault and didn't do anything.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have an identical problem with my VS regarding the key. Hadnt even considered trying the original spare key, which I dont believe has ever actually been used so its in pretty good shape. I will now though :)

mr031

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
a good condition battery should be around 10v on crank. and as for the key barrel, you can usually feel it, as it feels slopy or is getting harder to turn. Also make sure the screw in your remote is tight

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
a good condition battery should be around 10v on crank. and as for the key barrel, you can usually feel it, as it feels slopy or is getting harder to turn. Also make sure the screw in your remote is tight

I'll still need to check my crank volts but So far has been fine with new key. I'll have a look to see if the screws in the key remote are tight as I changed the shell a few months ago so maybe I didn't do it up tight enough, or it came loose. Ignition barrel feels fine though. No difficulty turning and isn't sloppy or loose. I'm starting to think the key was at fault.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Changing the key seems to have done it for me :)