Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carburettor conversion to ecotec

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
3.3L EFI head to a 3.3L blue, black carby fed head is nothing to talk about in flow.
Yes the cam is a bit bigger in the EFI 3.3L.

The Holden V8 EFI head to a VL 5.0L carby fed I meant, no stock carby ADR27A HX to VK-L will cut it with a VN 5.0L but a stock pre ADR27A 308 can go just as hard, it's got nothing to do with the intake manifold cam or heads.
The HG 308 GTS had 204hp net and the VN 5.0L had 221hp DIN but the HG had more grunt down low and the VN a little more up top I would say.
ADR27A turned the 5.0L into a slug until the 5.0L EFI came about and it's not all about maxim power figures.
A HG 308 GTS with extractors and jetted correctly tune with a open air filter can perform even better than a stock VN 5.0L will.
hahahahahahaha

See, I've had first hand experience with each of the engines I commented on (having owned, rebuilt, worked on and have done much research on each one), so I know that you're talking ****.

Firstly, VL 304 heads are just large valve late pollution heads which use the same port layout as 308's - all had carby apart from the vl group a. VN was the first to see a mass produced EFI Holden V8.

In vehicles of equivalent weight and setup, stock for stock, the EFI 304 would blow the earlier engines out of the water. But that's not because of the EFI. Convert the same efi 304 to carb and it'd tromp even a stock EFI 304.

Courier Ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Carb Ecotec in Courier
:confused::confused::confused:
Yes it has been done.
Haven't put it on on a dyno but it goes pretty hard for a motor from a paddock, literally just went and beat up on it.
Must have read the question wrong.
I usually do stuff instead of write about it.

Brock

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
hahahahahahaha

See, I've had first hand experience with each of the engines I commented on (having owned, rebuilt, worked on and have done much research on each one), so I know that you're talking ****.

Firstly, VL 304 heads are just large valve late pollution heads which use the same port layout as 308's - all had carby apart from the vl group a. VN was the first to see a mass produced EFI Holden V8.

In vehicles of equivalent weight and setup, stock for stock, the EFI 304 would blow the earlier engines out of the water. But that's not because of the EFI. Convert the same efi 304 to carb and it'd tromp even a stock EFI 304.
Tromp it for emission laws as well with a carby fed V8 VN does it, not to mention fuel economy or just what carby.

I know that a good setup carby and jetted spot on are not all that bad, I have that on my dirt bike and I don't want, or see the point of going to a EFI setup, some say to me, you will get better fuel economy with EFI and I say BS it will, because EFI MX and enduro bikes don't have mass air flow or such setups on them and as for power well I will keep my carby.
EFI 2 Strokes now are way beyond what any carby can do.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
SAM_1426.jpg
[/url][/IMG] View attachment 196731 View attachment 196732

Nicely done mate and welcome to the forum.

Ignore the bickering from the other members :)

The ecotec and L67 (supercharged engine) use the same cam but the L67 has the cam timed in in a different spot.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tromp it for emission laws as well with a carby fed V8 VN does it, not to mention fuel economy or just what carby.

I know that a good setup carby and jetted spot on are not all that bad, I have that on my dirt bike and I don't want, or see the point of going to a EFI setup, some say to me, you will get better fuel economy with EFI and I say BS it will, because EFI MX and enduro bikes don't have mass air flow or such setups on them and as for power well I will keep my carby.
EFI 2 Strokes now are way beyond what any carby can do.
You were arguing power figures, not emissions.

And what do you mean 'don't have mass air flow'? The things make 60hp for some of the 250cc 2 strokes. That's bloody good volumetric efficiency.

The only reason that efi 2 strokes have been developed is so that they can continue to meet euro emission standards to compete in FIM and similar enduro events. Efi is far superior in terms of fuelling adjustments for air temp/density/altitude. Apart from that, it's just added complexity with an intank high pressure pump that is prone to failure. Many are part of the tank or 'fuel cell' which is a $1000+ part. They're still all just port injected anyway apart from a few jetski's and snow mobiles. 2 stroke direct injection will be the beginning of a new 2 stroke reign I feel.

Btw, I'm into my bikes more than into cars. 4 strokes really are an uneconomical choice these days unless you buy an old dinosaur like an xr.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
You were arguing power figures, not emissions.

And what do you mean 'don't have mass air flow'? The things make 60hp for some of the 250cc 2 strokes. That's bloody good volumetric efficiency.

The only reason that efi 2 strokes have been developed is so that they can continue to meet euro emission standards to compete in FIM and similar enduro events. Efi is far superior in terms of fuelling adjustments for air temp/density/altitude. Apart from that, it's just added complexity with an intank high pressure pump that is prone to failure. Many are part of the tank or 'fuel cell' which is a $1000+ part. They're still all just port injected anyway apart from a few jetski's and snow mobiles. 2 stroke direct injection will be the beginning of a new 2 stroke reign I feel.

Btw, I'm into my bikes more than into cars. 4 strokes really are an uneconomical choice these days unless you buy an old dinosaur like an xr.
XR Honda's now that's a good subject, It's a interesting subject all the bikes from 1970 on to see in the evolution developments can be inspiring, before that is not to me much chop but some what interesting.

MAF sensor can not handle the abuse of a MX or endruo bike, such is the fuel economy device.

Look at how the old 2 stroke MX bikes ran 20:1, then 32:1, then 50:1 and 60:1 and now with a EFI it can be 100 or more, look at the EFI 2 stroke boat engines you can get now, we thought it was the end of the road for 2 strokes some years ago.

I keep away from the EFI dirt bikes, not that they are bad, but I have the best bike in the world ever made for what I use it for.
I know all a bout the fuel pump problems they can have and 8L to 9L tanks most have are a pain to me. 10 to 12L is good for good rides without constant worrying and over that is just big bulky crap.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
howz about we keep this thread on topic. If you want to discuss something other start your own thread!

Grega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 Berlina, VX1 Berlina, VX2 Berlina
thats awesome Brock - well done mate. top job.