Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carby not squirting out fuel.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Got the 253 all in and running (when it gets fuel) in my bro's VH. Got a problem tho....it doesn't squirt fuel down the throat?? It first happened with the quadrajet that we put on, but decided to change the carbs incase it was that which had the problem. Chucked the 500 Holley on which we got the other day, and it's doing the same thing.

There's fuel going up to it, and squirts out of the hose with every pump from the fuel pump (not sure how much pressure it has tho). But we chuck the fuel line back up to the carby and it won't run. Ya give the throttle a pump and no fuel squirts out, unless ya move the plunger just that little bit further then the throttle linkage moves it.

I checked it again this morning, and the first pump on the throttle squirted fuel out like normal....do it again and it got worse until now it doesn't squirt again. Tipped some juice down the carby to start it hoping it would get pressure again, and would only squirt a bit of fuel when the throttle was open, but only for a second, but now it's stopped that as well and we're back to no fuel at all.

We're pretty mechanically minded, but when it comes to carbs, all we know is how to bolt them on, adjust the idle, hook up the vacuum lines (or block them off :p) and chuck the fuel hose on it.

I'm thinkin of changing the fuel pump over, and another option is to chuck the 600 on it off of the wagon....but thought I might ask for opinions first from people who have played with them a bit more.

Here's some pics of the carby, thought I'd post them incase anyone spots sumfin wrong. The big hose goes to the PCV valve on the rocker cover, one of the small ones goes to the vac advance on the dizzy, and the 2nd small one is blocked off, which is the one next to the fuel bowl.

DSCF0325640x480.jpg

DSCF0331640x480.jpg

DSCF0332640x480.jpg

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
the early holleys have a little ball under accellarator pump diaphram thats ment to let fuel in but stop it going out when u pump the throttle. if carby has been sitting for awhile the sometime get a white powder or corrosion which makes them not seat or seal properly! undo the four screws under the carby where the pump arm is and there will be a diaphram and spring inside remove them and u will see the ball. it must be clean smooth and shiny. worth alook

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
other than check the pump shot diaphram (as mentioned) ummm, the float levels are non adjustable in those bad-boys huh?

unscrew the bottom fuel bowl screw and pull it out. if fuel pisses out of the bowl, then you know there is fuel in it. if it doesnt move on to the needle and seat assembly.

as far as pressure goes, my 650 was running on 2.5psi till i replaced the pump, so they need bugger all to run. they just wont get up and boogey. once your bowls are full itll run for nearly a minute with no fuel pressure.

when you tipped fuel in it, did you tip it down the vent tube? maybe try filling up the bowl via that tube then see if the pump shot works.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Thx for the help guys. She's runnin now.....changed the pump, but was stuffed, so put the old pump back on. Took the fitting out that the fuel line connects to but didn't know wat I was looking at so put it back in. Tried starting it and she now runs haha.

[YOUTUBE]5QPgNd9GFXQ[/YOUTUBE]

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
dribbles?

didnt mean anything bad by it, but i have never seen a 500 in action. the squirt looks really short and wide compared to a 650 or quaddy. the 650 just streams the squirt right down the carbs throat. no wonder it wastes so much fuel, that short wide shot seems like a much better way of getting it in there.

kewl vid btw thanks for the upload ;)

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Ah ok. Yeah we haven't played with many carbs so don't know wat's good and wat's not lol.

Might have to pull the 500 off tho coz it has a bad leak at the back left. Might try and get a gasket kit for it, but the last gasket kit I bought was for a varajet......got the instructions out, saw the exploded view of the carb, and packed it all back up and went and bought a rebuilt one haha.

idislikeflys

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 vk 308 4spd
completley off the subject but....

howz it all, a tad concerned about my quadrajet carby that was just rebuilt for $350 that still leaks petrol out of the top gasket, car wont idle either. the car is a vk with a 308 black motor, the leak isnt bad but im definitley no expert but i would think the gasket isnt supposed to get soaked with petrol, anyone with any ideas, because the bloke also gave me no warranty since there was water in the filter when i gave it to him(he told me this), if ive been scammed id chop his legs off, no worries , but since im no expert, and he was a pretty good bloke, some info from yo commodore nuts would be much aprreciated
CHUR