Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Carrying Kayak on VE Ute

nick1162

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Sv6 Ute
Hi,

Is anyone currently carting around kayaks in their ve/vf utes ? if so how are you going about it ?

I recently purchased /installed a sports bar to lean the kayak up against to transport locally, but i would like to do a few longer trips and keep all my baggage/equipment dry and out of sight underneath the tonneau cover plus still take the kayak.

Im thinking a rear ladder rack might be needed ?

But then the sports bar nearly sits flush with the roof of the ute, in which i don't want the kayak rubbing on the roof. So a smaller bar sitting on top of the sports bar may be required to lift the kayak up a bit.

Could i use kayak holders / cradles, the same ones that mount to roof racks on the sports bar / ladder rack ?

Any ideas / suggestions would be helpful. :idea3:

Cheers.

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
im in the same boat, simple solution. I THINK its rhino rack (double check on AKFF forums) but it actually comes right down from the towbar, its like a removeable rear rack , you put the nose on and push up and then the rear ladder goes up and the kayak goes onto the front sports bars. When your not using the yak you only have front sport bars. Keep the yak high and all your other gear in the tray pretty much for your holidays.

Thats what ill be doing.....

If not just chucking the hobie pro angler in the back and have the ass coming out of the tray with with a high vis flag.

But obviosuly not too practical for trips. Ill be getting the rhino rack kayak loader and a towbar :). I also have a rottweiler in a cage in my tray + the kayak on the racks and all the camping equipment in tray too.

Goodluck mate. Easy done.

nick1162

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Sv6 Ute
Im glad im not the only bloke out there with the same dilemma.... That is a pretty cool idea, I hadn't come across them yet. I like how you can just detach it from the towbar fold it up and store it underneath the tonneau cover once you have reached your destination.

Done just ordered one on Ebay, thanfully I already have a towbar !

The only issue now will be keeping the nose / bottom of the kayak off the roof of the ute as the sports bar sits pretty much flush with the roof. I guess a kayak cradle mounted to the sports bar or a single roof rack could be an option.

Its a shame you cant weld up some sort of semi enclosed cage that houses all your camping gear, plus the dog, then a bar on top to strap your kayak down.

Thanks for the advice mate. Cheers

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Im glad im not the only bloke out there with the same dilemma.... That is a pretty cool idea, I hadn't come across them yet. I like how you can just detach it from the towbar fold it up and store it underneath the tonneau cover once you have reached your destination.

Done just ordered one on Ebay, thanfully I already have a towbar !

The only issue now will be keeping the nose / bottom of the kayak off the roof of the ute as the sports bar sits pretty much flush with the roof. I guess a kayak cradle mounted to the sports bar or a single roof rack could be an option.

Its a shame you cant weld up some sort of semi enclosed cage that houses all your camping gear, plus the dog, then a bar on top to strap your kayak down.

Thanks for the advice mate. Cheers

another easy fix for the kayak nose....

front sports bar..... cut down a pool noodle... you know those long things you get abig w for the pool.... put that on the sports bar and then tie the kayak ontop of that.... the nose will not touch. This method is done heaps on the ute bars.... just cut it down to length and fit along and attach it by some ZIPTIES :)

with the dog cage it sits up front behind my window in between the bars and I can lock everything up in there :)

and regards to all the high end fishing gear, because of the hobie pro angler and other yaks, you can get inside the hull and store them all in there and i detach my reels and put all the stellas/saltigas inside the cabin with me with dark tint behind seats...or keep them inside the cage in a hard plastic case with my rottweiler...

can i ask how much you paid for the loader? :)

Hope it helps bro any other questions fire away...

noodle-workout.jpg

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy

Attachments

• 10669076_844346478931115_8361121269260482290_o__1415956542_29460__1415956542_67100.jpg
    10669076_844346478931115_8361121269260482290_o__1415956542_29460__1415956542_67100.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,209

nick1162

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Sv6 Ute
another easy fix for the kayak nose....

front sports bar..... cut down a pool noodle... you know those long things you get abig w for the pool.... put that on the sports bar and then tie the kayak ontop of that.... the nose will not touch. This method is done heaps on the ute bars.... just cut it down to length and fit along and attach it by some ZIPTIES :)

with the dog cage it sits up front behind my window in between the bars and I can lock everything up in there :)

and regards to all the high end fishing gear, because of the hobie pro angler and other yaks, you can get inside the hull and store them all in there and i detach my reels and put all the stellas/saltigas inside the cabin with me with dark tint behind seats...or keep them inside the cage in a hard plastic case with my rottweiler...

can i ask how much you paid for the loader? :)

Hope it helps bro any other questions fire away...

View attachment 175894

Yeah good thinking, a good cheap option too, i was also thought of using some larger sized ag / irrigation pipe and sliding that over the bar, it might look a bit better than a bright pink pool noodle haha

Sounds like you have got it all sorted then mate, ive been throwing all my tackle and rods (in halves) in a large lockable tool box i use when i go on a trip.

I paid $200 for the loader on ebay (not rhino but), i suggest you maybe spend a bit more and get the rhino one as i have discovered today mine is held together by quick release pins and which sit loosely and tends to rattle a bit. the unit also sits a fair distance out of the goose neck so i may have to shorten it a bit so it sits closer to the tailgate. As for the quick release pins i might have to swap them for bolts to eliminate rattle.

Let me know how you go / what you think?

Cheers mate.