Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Caryard Thiefs

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
my story of dodgy car dealers is regarding older model cars than whats been posted so far,but i think its relevant anyway..
coupla years ago i had a vp ss,it was a very nice car,only about 150k (decent for a 10yr old car at the time),great body and interior,full custom k-mac suspension, and custom duel exhaust,plus all the usual ss bells and whistles...
ne way i wanted to trade it in for a VK id seen (i really dont know y) ,the VK was a calais and totally worked off its head and they wanted $5k for it.so i figured i could trade mine in and maybe even get some extra dosh as well.
but when i got down there they say my cars worth $3-4k and wouldnt even negotiate with it.i laughed in their damn face and walked outa the place..
pricks

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
Yeah - as has already been stated - you would get more than the 16k they offered you, if you were to sell it privately.

It's because the dealers then have to sell the car and make a profit as well - so they are not gonna give you top dollar straight up!

9C1pack

Reaction score
Commodore and Falcon resale values are poor because of all the Ex-fleet cars that get dumped/sold. Go to the Auctions and buy a 1 to 2 year old car with 40 to 60 km, for less than half what it would cost you to buy new. Still got plenty of warranty and the $5 to 6000 dollars that you save (compared to a dealers used price) you can use that as your own little extended warranty plan.
If you want resale, go and buy a new Subaru. Check out the retained values for the forrester's. They cost about the same as a new Exec or Forte and 3 years later are selling for many thousands more than the Com/Fal.
I am not bagging Commodores (I drive one) but my next car will probably be a Forrester. The current Holden employee price deals will only drive trade in prices down further. Don't they realise they burn their cutomers when they do that. As the person who started this thread is finding out, the horror of his retained value will stay in his mind longer than the deal he originally got.
My 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
your right, after my dad having paid $17000 for his vt which now i currently own has 17" rimz 4k pioneer stereo the lot (when vt execs were worth that much) we saw a nice v8 manual vs ss commodore in a yard thinking the same as sircruisealotVS they wanted 15k for it i though well we could do a trade and at worst break even they said oh yeah whats that a v6 auto huh ?? i think we can give you about $9000 for it told them to stick it, now im not just saying it because its my car but theres a lot of vts on the road that look like crap neglected n such and mynes immaculate really clean and not to over the top when it comes to appearance i would say its still worth about $15000 today from other vts ive seen go that dont look half as nice as myne
also my 2c worth

(ALSO not to mention i live in perth and in perth ive noticed we pay stupid prices for our cars compared to nsw :( wish i was there !)

pplugg

Reaction score
Website
mangacityracing.clicdev.com
Members Ride
April 2003 Holden Commodore VY1 Commodore Acclaim
My cousin had a 1985 Toyota 4Runner which he traded in for a 1988 Holden VN Commodore Station Wagon. He got $500 Trade-In for his 4Runner and he went back there the other day and they're trying to sell it for $3000 what dumbasses :hit:

Plainwhitevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon Series 2
It depends on who's game you want to play.
The dealer game has you buy a new car from them every few years. You cover the depreciation to pay commissions, profit etc. Hey - they have to make a living too!

The cost to you per year is pretty high - maybe about $6,000 per year for a new commodore at the moment. Fleet buyers wear that through high lease payments and the finance company are protected via the residual.

The buyer game is to buy when this first few years have been covered by one of the above, then KEEP IT UNTIL IT IS TEN YEARS OLD. You get a bit of warranty, you know it has been serviced (SA Gov leasers get fined if the car is serviced late), and the overheads that you pay are minimal.

Bad points - you are not the first to fart in it :cry: , and you get something that is not brand new. You also do not have the latest body shape, etc.

The buyer game is especially good at the moment because everyone is worried about fuel costs etc. But we all pay in the end.

I would never knock those that play the dealer game - they get new, they get the latest etc. - but they should understand that they wear the cost for others to play the buyer game. All power to them.

The only sad time is if we don't understand whose game we are playing. Dealer trade-in time tells us that - they aren't thiefs (except for some), they just never explain which game you are playing. In their place I wouldn't either. :yeah:

M

matt69

have a look at what the dealership owner drives and that will show their true motives man. they love making bucks off trade ins. i bet theyd sell ur car for more than 16k. sell it privately as u cant buy a vy for 16k anywhere i know off.

9C1pack

Reaction score
$16K, Thats around about what they where going for at the auctions about a month ago.
A friend bought a VX2 08/02 build 57K (Ex-cop) for just over $13K, needed a tail light globe for a roadworthy by the time it was registered in his name owed them about $14K. I don't think this was an exceptional deal either, I reckon if they had have taken their time they could have got one even cheaper.

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
Just gotta live with it. Aussies have bought close on a million new cars this year. That means (really roughly) - a million second handers floating around as they trade the old for the new (less the ones we crash and the ****-boxes going to China to be melted down)

Anyone who buys a new car (especially Aussie "6"'s - includes the V8's) has gotta live with 50% depreciation over 3 years. I just bought a 2003 VY Berlina with leather seats - cost me 23K (only 27K km's!). It probably cost some poor mongrel 42K plus 3 years ago. Problem is that companies / government depts etc can't (and won't) offer staff second handers as salary options so we buy a million new cars each year.

Watch second hand prices when the million from this year (and last) hit the 2nd hand market. Did you hear the QLD Govt has 2200 2nd handers in storage - They have no idea what do with them - If they release them all quickly the market will nose dive - if they hang on to them and dribble them out then the Govt loses.

Decisions, Decisions....

The solution is either pay your cash and don't winge about the depreciation OR get smart and buy second hand cars where some other turkey has taken the hit.

www.travelbiz.com.au/articles/47/0c037d47.asp