Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Caster bushes - what are they?

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi there,

I have just had a roadworthy done on my VT, and one thing needing replacement is the caster bushes.

What the hell are caster bushes? I have found a few posts on forums but I'm not totally clued up to where they are, and I was wondering if they go by another name, then I can find them in my manual and do it myself.

Apologies if this is already posted somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
If I recall correctly, If you stick your head under the car and have a look at the hub, there is an S shaped rod going from the hub to the front of the engine subframe. I think the bushes in that both at the subframe and hub are the castor bushes.

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks soop, I'll have a look when the rains stops

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Radius rod bushes,
'Z' bar bushes,

Basically the big front bush as you lay down infront of the car looking up under the front bumper. Think they're fluid filled from factory, and can rupture/leak out the oil. -- Thats the front (radius rod, castor, 'Z' bar) Bush.
The rear bush is in the lower control arm. The 'middle bush. You can see if it if you have the front wheel off, or if the cars high enough to get you head under it :p

One way to tell if the fronts are shagged, drive like 5 or 10km/hr on a straight flat bit of road, (wth someone standing beside the car looking side on) and either:

Jump on the brakes to a complete stop, then gently let them off - (the person standing outside the car looking side on) watch for the front wheel to move towards the rear of the car - then go back to the front once the brakes let off.
Or
Sort of pump the brakes, on and off, firm enough to 'grab' but not stop you dead in your tracks - (the person standing outside the car looking side on) see if the wheel moves around a helluva lot in the wheel arch - backwards and forwards.

If its screwd it'l look like the wheel could basically fall off, moving a couple of inches either way/wobbling around.

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks Zeussy, the radius rod/caster/Z bar bushes look pretty shagged, probably still stock from the factory 12 years ago.

Just read the qrite up on replacing them, doesn't look too hard a job.

Thanks heaps!

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Nar man it's pretty easy job to do ay, u can get adjustable ones from nolathane

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
No probs! :thumbsup:

If you're going to do it, only tip that I can give, is to do it on flat ground... LOL, Pretty sure it says to in the write up on here?

But I didn't, because I don't really have flat concrete to work on, (driveways on a bit of an angle). So, if like me, you do it on a slight incline and drive it up on ramps - Chock the back wheels securely!! I didn't, then the car crept back a little, (less than an inch) and had to use a tiedown to pull the front strut back to the right angle to get the 4 nuts! :eek: (sounds dodgey, but it worked well!)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Why the fug would you want adjustable castor bushes?

They dude just wants to drive his car without the wheels falling off...

Zeussy, had the same issue. Nothing a couple of swear words won't fix.

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Adjustable so u can run +1\4 on one side and -1/4 on the otherwise to make up for the slope of the road so car doesnt pull to the left. Was recommended by my local tyre shop so I fitted them as they said and car drives great