Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Castrol edge 10W60 noisy

jacko2

Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 LS3 R8
Just after opinions, i changed from nulon 10W40 on the clubby last oil change to castrol 10W60 edge. I noticed straight away that the engine was much noisier, lifters mainly, but it seems to run much smoother. It's been in there for 6,000km now and im thinking im going to got back to the nulon. Has anyone else had this problem in there LS1? i only changed to the Edge due to the good reports about it on here,

Cheers,

Jacko

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Lol don't listen to the reports on here

I did the same as you and found the same issues.

I'm going back to Valvoline Synpower or Royal Purple.

How was the Nulon?

Sent from my HTC ARIA using Tapatalk II.IV

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Why not just run the correct viscosity as stated in the manual? Use something with good specs and you wont have to worry, if you still will then go get your oil tested till you find one that you like.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Try pentrite, My car loved it over the nulon oil.
I use the full synthetic HPR 5
5w-30

Change every 5000kms or when needed?
This Castrol seems to be long lasting nontheless

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I've used the same Nulon 10/w40 full synthetic for years with no problems to report, will keep using it.
Another good thing is it comes in 6L containers which is perfect for each oil/filter change, also every 5K .

jacko2

Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 LS3 R8
Wow surprising response. Definitely going back to the Nulon when i do the change this weekend. Just sucks i now have 4 litres of edge to throw in the bin. I might actually give the penrite a go and see what its like. I just want my quite engine back. By far the best thing about the Nulon is that it comes in 6 litres

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wow surprising response. Definitely going back to the Nulon when i do the change this weekend. Just sucks i now have 4 litres of edge to throw in the bin. I might actually give the penrite a go and see what its like. I just want my quite engine back. By far the best thing about the Nulon is that it comes in 6 litres

Funny thing is, you are like me.

I read up and heard Castrol is 'da bomb' and best thing since sliced bread.
Then did some further checks and heerd alot of discontent with it, and did make my engine a bit noisier on startup.

Oh well, thought its premium stuff so may as well wait to next oil change to change it instead of wasting my money.
It is a good oil, when warm noises disapear more so and werent evident when i had Valvoline.

But heard good stuff bout the Nulon in these engines so rather give it a go.

lukemcg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU2 SS
Funny thing is, you are like me.

I read up and heard Castrol is 'da bomb' and best thing since sliced bread.
Then did some further checks and heerd alot of discontent with it, and did make my engine a bit noisier on startup.

Oh well, thought its premium stuff so may as well wait to next oil change to change it instead of wasting my money.
It is a good oil, when warm noises disapear more so and werent evident when i had Valvoline.

But heard good stuff bout the Nulon in these engines so rather give it a go.

Yep, same deal here, read that it was the bees knees, changed it and found instantly more noise, so changed back to HPR 5 (5w-40) much quieter and cheaper to boot.