Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cat converter removal and refit?

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
hey guys,
ive been quoted about 8-900 bucks for 2 hi flow cats,
the bloke at a place told me if mine were 1 3/8s pacemakers and had 4 bolts,
all i had to do was unbolt the cats from the pacemakers, then unbolt from the catback pipes, then bolt the new ones in.

is it really this easy?

im a bit of a mechanical noob but always keen to widen my skills..
theres no gaskets or grease or anything like that?
just as long as i get the cats with bolting attchments?

help appreciated,
cheers guys

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Its very easy mate once you get it up in the air you will see, the bolts may give you are hard time bit spray them first with a bit of CRC

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
that sounds alot for 2x hi-flow cats, i maybe wrong though, and yes easy to do, jack the car up or drive it up on to ramps and let cool down for an hour or so as they will get hot very quick, then as said spray the bolts with crc or some rust penetrant, rp7, etc and let soak in for a min, spray again then undo, if they do break, you can replace the nut and bolt with another nut and bolt of the same size, but yes very easy to do, take you bout 15- 20 or so mins to unbolt, and bolt new ones in taking your time.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Just my opinion, But how much are they gonna charge to install them, On a hoist with a rattle gun its a 2 min job.
Problem at home is the bolts seize up real nice and a single hex socket and braker bar is the only real way to sorta garuntee your gonna get it undone. Becauseof this somtimes its worth the $20-$50 for a local shop to do it.

LOWFLYR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enhanced Auto cammed VXSS 5.7A4
should only be about $350 each for metal core hi-flo's and gaskets will be needed! be sure to sand off the face of each flange or it'll develop a leak fairly quickly and wouldn't hurt to run a bead of hi-temp silicone around aswell for an even better seal

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
would exhaust putty be ok like the wurth exhaust putty/paste instead of a bead of silicon?