Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

catalytic converter

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
was told at a muffler shop that , by removing the cat, it would give you about the same power increase as fitting headers, but a fraction of the cost. your thoughts on this..

I think you are either out for a troll and/or a complete tosser.

Reaper

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
You would, what about everyone else? What about walkers and riders nearby? They shouldn't have to suck up your 1kw gain.

Aye, I was speaking from only me, not everyone else.

I know the harmful effects of not having a cat. Read the first few posts...I'M AGAINST THE IDEA.

I think you are either out for a troll and/or a complete tosser.

Reaper

There is a very good chance of it :p

vs-6

Raptorcharged VS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pac V6
No. You noticed the increase performance from the Extractors and the 2.5".

well nah not really coz i did all 3 at different time like over a year only did high flow cat as 1 was charging so that was the last and i think it gave me noticable difference but this may have meant my cat had shat itsself the honey comb might have been blocked a number partially still think its worth doing for the 300 bucks and the better sound

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
Originally Posted by vrfireman
was told at a muffler shop that , by removing the cat, it would give you about the same power increase as fitting headers, but a fraction of the cost. your thoughts on this..

ok ive been to a few performance shops and none of them have ever mentioned it when i mentioned it they looked at me like "get the fucuck out of my store. There are many reasons not to decat a car mainly because its illgeal, the surrounding people while suffer from the effect worse than passive smoking (which has already been mentioned) and if noone else has mentioned it Decatting a car can actually rust the exhaust system because part of the cats job is to catch the condensation so when the cat heats up to optimum temperature it burns it off as vapour which is less harmful to the environment and the car so basically DO NOT decat a car theres too much **** that can go wrong *end rant*

Nzpure

VS L67
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Supa6
I still wanna find out how the greengases (horrible gases destroying our atmoshpere) that are heavier then air are getting to the ozone

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
I still wanna find out how the greengases (horrible gases destroying our atmoshpere) that are heavier then air are getting to the ozone

im guessing because hot air rises faster thn normal air

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover

No they aren't. Greenhouse gases rise above the air on the ground but form a very deep layer. The ozone is a different place entirely and greenhouse gases don't get up into the ozone.

The greenhouse gases aren't destroying our atmosphere, they are just accumulating and warming the earth (supposedly) hence being called "greenhouse" gases.

Ozone depleting gases are completely different.

Nzpure

VS L67
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Supa6
Then how come the percentage of greenhouse gases havn't in the time we have recorded it increase or decrease for that matter within a normal variant.
BECAUSE ITS A CON!!!! Global warming is the biggest con since god i dont know pick one.
.. i could spout on why but who cares 1977 manaro orig condition with original 143,000kms $12,500 im buzzing out i need to find 12k!!!!!

moogley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec,vr calais
id say dont do it 1. its illegal 2. the gains arent that great on a 6 and 3. it sounds like balls i did it to my car with extractors and a 2.5 inch exhaust and it sounded so bad hav a listen

YouTube - vs calais new exhaust

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Aye, I was speaking from only me, not everyone else.

I know the harmful effects of not having a cat. Read the first few posts...I'M AGAINST THE IDEA.

lol probably should have. i tend so see a blur of bullshit sometimes and skip over it, particularly after reading the first post!