Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Catch can with or without breather?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Pcv side is best, look up saikou michi catch cans for ls1, he is from USA and makes a dual can, custom made also. That would solve both lines anyways, and at 200 bux shipped its not a bad investment for a better running engine. The cheap catch cans actually do nothing more than look pretty in the engine bay

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Short answer; without.

It's illegal to run a vented one on a road car.

Not sure what the point of a vented one is to be honest, but I do know the ELITE can I had on my old VZ clubby did the job well.

im also running elite on my ute and its been working great for roughly 2 yrs now, very good quality!

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
It's just the baffle that does the job of actually condensing the oil, true?
Considering this, I could make my own baffle. I've been told that steel wool wrapped in stockings is a good baffle.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I Jamed my cheap catch can with steel wool and to be honest, it didn't do much.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
It's just the baffle that does the job of actually condensing the oil, true?
Considering this, I could make my own baffle. I've been told that steel wool wrapped in stockings is a good baffle.

yeah well not too sure whats in the elite but looks like heaps of steel wool compacted in it, but also a good designed can is need to work its best as Richard as said didn't work to well on his

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
So just installed my catch can. I'm embarrassed to say its supercrapauto brand, and my god, the quality of this is terrible, even one of the fittings didn't have threading, as if it 'missed a step' in the manufacturing process.

One question - the hoses I used aren't fuel line so they're not as sturdy (they're radiator overflow tubing).
Any idea firstly, if there was a kink/blockage, would I be able to feel this/get a CEL if the PCV was blocked.

I'm thinking rip out the hosing and buy 3 metres of fuel line from Autobarn tomorrow. At least their god damn customer service skills are up to par.
Feeling robbed lol

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Rubber hose will be fine for now, as long as there's no sharp bends or anything it shouldn't kink, cel light won't come on either. I have the supercrap brand one as well for now until I recieve my saikou michi one, what I did was find a fitting to put in the inside of the inlet part of the catch can and run a hose half way down the catch can, then stuffed the can with fly screen mesh, it seems to work better than steel wool.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Yeah I stuffed it loosely with stocking and because one of the god damn inlet holes wasn't actually threaded I shoved a 3/8" in. Fit really well oddly haha, poked some holes in the hose inside the can too for extra breathing.
Still, it's hideous, I had to mount it sideways because the brackets are crap and didn't hold.
It's the poorest excuse for a product I've ever seen come out of that store. It looks like a drink flask with 2 holes smashed into it.

#Brock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammmed Slammed Blown VT SS 3:9 Shift Kitted
Wouldnt a non vented catch can create pressure and cause rocker cover seals to leak?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Wouldnt a non vented catch can create pressure and cause rocker cover seals to leak?

A non vented catch can will not create pressure and cause leaks.
The factory PCV setup is a sealed system and doesn't vent to atmosphere either.
Take my LS1 for an example...
My PCV valve is in the valley plate, it has a short hose coming from it that connects to the inlet manifold just behind the throttle body and technically it is sealed, because it doesn't vent to atmosphere.
So all you are doing is fitting a catch can (sealed) in the middle of that breather hose, between the valley plate and the inlet manifold to stop oil vapour building up in the manifold and making its way into the combustion chamber