Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cats on a gen3

Sir VxSs

Its gotta B a GenIII !!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss II 6SpD
my mate just got a 2 1/2 cat back zuast and instead of high flow cats he saved a bit of coin and took them off altogether!!! apart from geting F#@kd if you get done by epa wats the diff between high flow cats and taken them off ?? i know both are for the same reason just never seen on here any body do it ?? in other words made bit of a diference in his ride jus thinking is it worth me doing as ive nearly got my coin together to start moding? thanks boiz

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No No No. Apart from the huge fine for removing them, they also play a part in the correct signals being received by the ECU via the O2 sensors. A cat will not restrict the flow to any real degree on a street car. On the strip you will notice a difference. The price of two hi flow cats is way cheaper than the fine he and you will get.

mar-d-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Clubsport
gawd, how stupid are ppl.....why give hard earnt $$$$ needlessly to the government...

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
Your mate will notice a thin layer of black smoke sticking (soot) on the back of his car after awhile.With no cats the computer richens up the fuel dumping more into the engine because between the exhaust headers and the cats is where the 02 sensors lie and heat is built up between these components to help atomize/burn the remaining fuel,(to help the environment)also you will notice a strong smell of unburnt fuel out the exhaust too/and use more fuel(see by having the cats in an exhaust systems helps with the running of an engine the hotter the heat in this area the leaner the fuel is dosesd and with no cat reducement of heat will encourage more fuel to be used.if your friend runs the car for a longer period you will eventually glaze the O2 sensors and they will not work/with throw up codes.From previous experience i had a twin system on mr VR V8 stato and had 2 fake cats with no centers and dumped before the diff and after roughly 2 weeks i had soot all over the back of my car and man what a pain it was to always polish the crap off,another thin that made it worse was it was a white car.The car did drive harder but wouldnt do it again.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh bad idea to strip or take out the cats, plus in melbourne its something like a $10,000 fine if caught from memory and u don't have to get pulled ova to be epa'd, my mate got a letter from them saying he had to go for testing as they though it was loud, we went past a cop car that was sitting in a service road at 2am on a weeknight, and got a letter a couple of weeks later to go for testing, he passed only just after putting in some type of a silencer, so u don't have to get pulled over to get tested, they just av to hear it and u'll get a letter if they think its too loud or suss.

Sir VxSs

Its gotta B a GenIII !!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss II 6SpD
:thumbsup: thanks boiz for sharing ya wisdom !! good 100% answers HIGH FLOW cats :bow: ! gonna have to tell my mate tha bad news !

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
As KRUPTD and cpbait both said, you don't have to be pulled over to be caught and with out cats the smell from the exhaust is really is to pick even if your driving by at speed, like a pre70's car running too rich.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I can do Magna Flow steel substrate cats for $220 each, and $30 shipping for both to Melbourne.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Your mate will notice a thin layer of black smoke sticking (soot) on the back of his car after awhile.With no cats the computer richens up the fuel dumping more into the engine because between the exhaust headers and the cats is where the 02 sensors lie and heat is built up between these components to help atomize/burn the remaining fuel,(to help the environment)also you will notice a strong smell of unburnt fuel out the exhaust too/and use more fuel(see by having the cats in an exhaust systems helps with the running of an engine the hotter the heat in this area the leaner the fuel is dosesd and with no cat reducement of heat will encourage more fuel to be used.if your friend runs the car for a longer period you will eventually glaze the O2 sensors and they will not work/with throw up codes.From previous experience i had a twin system on mr VR V8 stato and had 2 fake cats with no centers and dumped before the diff and after roughly 2 weeks i had soot all over the back of my car and man what a pain it was to always polish the crap off,another thin that made it worse was it was a white car.The car did drive harder but wouldnt do it again.

You can run without cats.
You will have to have the "low efficiency / post cat efficiency" on the cats disabled in the PCM.

Plenty of Kiwis do exactly that. It isn't illegal to remove cats in NZ. I'm not condoning the practice though.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
He's not in New Zealand though, so your post is totally irrelevant.