Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Caught Speeding, Whats Going To Happen Now?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

First of all, this isn't a thread asking about how to get out of a speeding fine, I made a stupid decision at the wrong time, and I got caught, and I accept the fact that I did the wrong thing.

Now, I am on my green P's in Vic, and the police officer that pulled me over said that he clocked me going 142km/h in a 100km/h zone. He checked my licence and gave me a breath test. He then handed me my licence back and said that I will receive a fine in the mail.

Now I thought that going that fast, I should have lost my licence on the spot and had my car impounded, but he never said anything about it, except "You will receive a fine in the mail."

Anyone have any experience with this? I looked on VicRoads website but can't find any information, only for full licence.

I only have 1.5 months left of being on my P's and have never been caught speeding or received a fine before either.

I just want to know what I should be expecting in the mail. I really need my licence for work, but I understand I was speeding so I have to suffer the consequences.

I have learnt my lesson though, doesn't matter where you are, don't even bother risking doing something stupid, police can be anywhere at anytime.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
years back when i lost mine, i was given paperwork on the spot, and received more paperwork about a month later.

i guess he couldnt be bothered writing it up on the spot. so you'll most likely receive a letter in 3-4 weeks with a fine, and a letter stating that you lose your licence for 6 months(could be 12), you wont get a choice of options, then after the time you lost it for is over, you will receive a letter telling you that the offence racked up all 6 points, and that means you get to lose your licence for a further 3 or 6 months(cant remember which), or 12 months of "good behaviour", where if you manage to rack up any further points, you lose your licence yet again.

further reading here

Demerit point options - VicRoads

have fun catching the bus or getting friends/family to drive you places for the next 6-12 months.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Thanks for the info, at least I should get a few weeks to sort things out before I can't drive anymore.

The car has been off the road for 12 weeks, I finally get it back from being tuned and driveable again, and I get caught the same day I get it back. Glad I was able to take the car home though and not lose that as well.

But that's what happens when you decide to do something like that and push it too far. Just lucky I backed off when I did because it could have been worse. I'll be paying someone else for fuel now to drive me places, if I find someone.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Sounds to me like he was bluffing and trying to get you to freak out and admit to something. I highly doubt he would let you carry on your merry way at that sort of speed especially you being a P plater.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Sounds to me like he was bluffing and trying to get you to freak out and admit to something. I highly doubt he would let you carry on your merry way at that sort of speed especially you being a P plater.

Well I don't know how he got me in the first place, because he was driving (but driving towards me), coming up over a hill, so we didn't see each other until we were fairly close. But I will admit I was speeding, he asked how fast I was going and I said that I didn't know. I didn't admit anything to him, I didn't really say much at all, I didn't even know they could get you if they are also driving.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I don't know how he got me in the first place, because he was driving (but driving towards me), coming up over a hill, so we didn't see each other until we were fairly close. But I will admit I was speeding, he asked how fast I was going and I said that I didn't know. I didn't admit anything to him, I didn't really say much at all, I didn't even know they could get you if they are also driving.

Sounds to me like he gauged your speed with his eyes and wanted you to admit to speeding. When you didn't he let it go.

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
Loss of licence for period that matches offence, then when you think your about to get back on the road, you'll get another suspension based on demerit points loss being more than the amount you have. Something to tell the grandkids about.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Sounds to me like he gauged your speed with his eyes and wanted you to admit to speeding. When you didn't he let it go.

I don't know, i'll have to wait and see if I do get a letter. He never even checked the car either, didn't go have a look at the rego label, didn't check tyres or anything, it was just like a normal random pull over and breath test, but he said that that's how fast I was going and that I will get a letter in the mail.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
See how it goes I suppose.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8