Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Center speaker GONE!!!

ads1972

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
WOW guys! I have just disconnected the centre speaker on my ssv and instantly the distortion although not bad, disappeared right away. I was a bit jubious about doing this as I am a believer in factory fitted items are there for a reason. Also I was worried just disconnecting the speaker at the speaker end rather than at the head unit would create other problems but there is an instant improvement. It begs the question why would Holden put this speaker there in a so called premium system. After speaking to a friend thats into electronics he told me the speaker is designed to give a "surround" sound type of experience in a low grade system. He told me to do a simple test at low volume around 20 on volume scale and connect and then disconnect speaker. It actually sounds better at low volume with centre speaker connected but as soon as you go over 25 on volume scale the built in distortion of crappy centre speaker starts to be present. Holden has designed this to sound like an "a" grade system at low to medium levels but cannot cope with bass at higher levels.

bbb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Sv6 Wagon
Also, the main reason I was doing it, is because Ive ordered some VE HSV R8 gauges to replace the whole section

Is the wiring loom there to conect the guages?? does the sv6 have the wiring so the guages can be added??

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
having said that it sounds better removed, can another(better) speaker fit in there to stop distortion?

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
I have unplugged the speaker and it was a massive improvement! (Phreddy, you should have done this when putting the front speakers in lol). I did not remove it, but ran another wire down to behind the dash as I intend to put a UHF CB in the car one day - I'll use that speaker instead of the crap one that comes with the CB to hide even more stuff :)

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Just done this to my SV6, a fair improvement to what it was about an hour ago... at least this will hold off the urge of getting a new sound system anytime soon.

seanssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6spd man with WP power pack
G'day fellas. I've been reading this post before signing up on the forum and can say that my centre speaker works fine with no distortion at all when above -20b. I cranked it today whilst driving to work and heard no distortion what so ever. I'm a bit reluctant to remove the speaker anyway so Im interested to know what the sound quality difference is like. Is there more bass directed to the remaining speakers which makes them sound tighter and full, or is it something else??