Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

central locking remote just died, apparently not standard.. what to do?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
So this morning i go to unlock my car (vn calais) and i was sitting there looking like an idiot for 25 minutes while fiddling with my remote to try work out why the hell it wouldn't open.

turns out the problem is the button to unlock/disable the immobiliser has stopped working, it no longer clicks as it pushes down like it did and like the others do.

I called up some local wreckers etc a few weeks ago looking for a new one as the shell on mine had broken where it goes on the key ring (no huge deal really, just a pain) and the wreckers informed me they'd never seen or heard of a remote like mine.

upon doing a bit of research, i believe my car was originally intended to have a 2 button remote, as one of my buttons unlocked/locked and turned the immobiliser off/on, and the other opened the boot. I'm also finding that the mongoose style remote (which i believe mine should be?) is obsolete and cannot be obtained any more. SO, is it possible for me to just grab one from the wreckers and it get programmed at all? (considering i can't really get the original code out of the remote as mine's different? :/) or do i need to find an after market type that can be programmed? Or can anyone tell me what the hell my remote came from, why it worked, and if/how i can get another and get it to work?

Any inputs would be much appreciated, as being able to unlock my car would probably be a bonus. preferably without disabling alarm etc. :)

Attachments

• 2014-07-22 09.36.08.jpg
    2014-07-22 09.36.08.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
the picture looks very aftermarket.

does it have any branding anywhere - you may have to fix the one you have (install a new switch) or something.

If you believe it is a Mongoose try ringing them - obviously they'll probably want to know what remote it is....

Mongoose Australia - Automotive Technologies - Remote Controls

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
oh no i don't think mine is a mongoose, I just think that the car originally had a mongoose one which failed and then must have been replaced with this. I firmly believe mine is after market and have no idea what the hell it came from, i thought about fixing it, but looking at it, i don't know if it's going to be possible for someone like me. i'd have to try find a replacement inner button thing which i think would be near impossible to get one that will match, and then i'd have to undo the solder etc holding it in and carefully try fit the new one, hoping i do it correctly. i can do wiring but i'm definitely not confident in tiny circuit boards and crap so i'm thinking fixing it is kind of out of the question :/

Thanks heaps for the quick reply though, very much appreciated :D i might even just get onto mongoose and see what they suggest. :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
You may also find if you open the remote that a drop of oil in the switch will make it start to function again, I've done this on a few computer mice in the past (sticky microswitches, one even had a literal spill and the buttons were fine after) and they operate as good as new afterwards.

Couple of drops of sewing machine oil in a sticky switch can do wonders, worth a shot. I should say though you will need to open the remote and put the drops directly in the switch itself.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
well since the shell broke, i had to use a small amount of tape to hold parts of it closed, so when i was trying to unlock the car i was able to pull it open and make sure the battery was still located etc. i will try this oil thing you mentioned as i think that might just get it, thanks heaps again mate, very much appreciated! :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh and once you open the car - consider replacing it, you have only one point of failure!!!

hsvwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 HSV Wagon, VP GTS
Mate
that is a Jacar/Dick Smith programmable remote, about $40.00 worth.

You just use your old remote (if you can get it to work) and follow the instructions included.

Well worth it!

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i bought my vp berlina with no central locking remote. found one in the glovebox. all the buttons on the case were stuck, so i took the case off and installed a new battery and pressed the buttons with the case off. got everything to work. i then took the remote to a key maker/remote place in airport west shopping centre, and had the dude copy it.

cost $70.... do what ever you can do to get it to transmit again and get it copied....