Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Centre Console squeak/rattle

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
G'day Guys,

Need some help. My Commodore has a squeak/rattle emanating from the centre console around the gear shift. It is not very loud but annoying. Problem is worst when driving on not so smooth roads. I suspect it is the plastic woodgrain insert flexing. I have removed part of the centre console and tried to locate the problem however everything seem to be where it should be. The car is a stock standard Berlina. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? If so, what was done to rectify the problem.

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
yeah I have. im going to pull apart the dash one day and just buy shiteloads of adhesive foam tape and stick it all over the inside of the dash panel, then put it back in. should dampen the squeaks. id pay attention to the clips that hold it in place, as mine sounds a lot like metal on plastic squeaking...

its usually to do with how well you put it back in after installing a stereo. The factory assembled dash is far tighter fit than how you put it back together.

goldencommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Commodore
hey i think i have a problem like u sam_100 u know how ur gear stick moves foward when u brake, well i just thought it wa squeaking cause of that, but it does it sometimes not always which is good.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
i have a deep rattle sound in mine mainly does it when reversing for some reason maybe where the gear selector sits is the cause making something loose haven't been bothered to pull it apart yet