Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CFA Volunteer

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I just helped the cfa with a fire in some bluegums done here last thursday, they needed access to the fire so i was called in to make some roads for the tankers.
They do some great work, just watching them in action was quite an experience and the dedication is second to none.
A big wrap on the back to all CFA volunteers, you all do a hell of a job.

fatboy2869

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1982 commodore/WB ute x2 VP commodore
I have been in the NSW RFS for the past 15 years in NSW befor that i was in the Tas RFS and i find it good fun i have been to quite a few big fires and there is nothing like the mateship you find in any fire service and the felling you get from helping out the community that u live in, but one thing i will say is do it for the right reason's not just to be aa glory hunter i have seen ppl join the fire service and they think that it is going to be a hoilday camp and when they find out about all the trainning they have to do they quit its not all riding around in fire trucks there is alot of grunt work puting in hand tool lines and dry firefighting but there are some good jobs aswell.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
I have been in the NSW RFS for the past 15 years in NSW befor that i was in the Tas RFS and i find it good fun i have been to quite a few big fires and there is nothing like the mateship you find in any fire service and the felling you get from helping out the community that u live in, but one thing i will say is do it for the right reason's not just to be aa glory hunter i have seen ppl join the fire service and they think that it is going to be a hoilday camp and when they find out about all the trainning they have to do they quit its not all riding around in fire trucks there is alot of grunt work puting in hand tool lines and dry firefighting but there are some good jobs aswell.

Shh, don't mention rakehoe work to the potential recruits! They're supposed to find out about that later. ;)

fatboy2869

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1982 commodore/WB ute x2 VP commodore
You get to meet all sorts of crazy people and the occasional sane one, ya see and do some amazing stuff. Wednesday week before last we ended up chasing a fast moving grassfire across the Lake George floodplain (not so flooded at the moment ;) ), yours truly and a fellow lunatic in the fighting compartment of a ten tonne firetruck flying across the lake bed knocking down spot fires as we pass them at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light. Now that's a rush.

Have we meet couse you just discribed me to a T

If you join up you'll also become very accustomed to the phrase "hurry up and wait", whereby you've busted your arse getting to a major incident only to end up waiting in a staging area for 3 hours until you get tasked. Then there's the other end of the spectrum where you bust your arse getting to a major incident to find that your truck is the first one there and everything is already extra crispy and getting worse. ****. :D

What about SNAFU (situation normal all F&@Ked Up)

Oh yeah, and possibly most importantly, you've really gotta plan your food situation, not sure how it works down there in mexico, but up here we have to be deployed for a minimum of 8 hours before the support guys will consider making some sanga's and running them out. So, assuming murphy's law is in operation and you get the call just before dinner time, it will basically be past breakfast time before state sponsored sustenance arrives. So long life muesli bars and the like become a staple of your diet during summer.

:ranting: Yuck long life muesle bar the bain of every fire fighter or if you are one of the unlucky ones that do RAFT (remote Area Firefighting Teams) cold food brekfest/lunch/diner:ranting: :ranting: but if u get tasked to a air base then the food is pretty good :D :D :yeah:

Last edited:

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
What about SNAFU (situation normal all F&@Ked Up)
To be fair that one originated with the US army, we need to get our own I reckon. I'm in favour of adopting "munted" but no-one else likes it. :cry:
:ranting: Yuck long life muesle bar the bain of every fire fighter or if you are one of the lucky ones that do RAFT (remote Area Firefighting Teams) cold food brekfest/lunch/diner:ranting: :ranting: but if u get tasked to a air base then the food is pretty good :D :D :yeah:

Hmm, our captain carries a fruitcake just to be different, :p it's a tasty alternative but not as easy to haul around as muesli bars. Those RAFT fella's have bigger problems to worry about than food if ya ask me, for example, the insane urge to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft. :D

Note to anyone considering joining: Apply for RAFT training if you like walking long distances carrying a heavy pack while under orders to put in a 500m long firebreak with the aforementioned rakehoes in the most inhospitable terrain the country has to offer. Those guys are like the craziest of the crazy and they're usually recruiting. :D

sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
I'm in the CFS over here and it's a great experience. You get to learn a whole heap of great stuff you think is pretty unimportant at the time but when the time comes that you need it it's good to know.

"become very accustomed to the phrase "hurry up and wait""

that's always great, we've got a bushfire going in the riverland over here and on the second day of the fire (now 11th day) we sat around for six hours before doing anything. After working all day today i've got to go up there and do a 14hr night shift as well to make sure it doesn't break containment lines.

But it's is a great joy to be able to help people out when they in the ****. So i say go for it.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Good on u guys who volunteer, u guys do an awesome job! our place would have been ashes a few years ago if it weren't for the RFS. Which reminds me its getting near that time of the year were u fellas get on the fire engine dressed as santa and throw lollies to the kids:thumbsup: better make sure theres cold beer in the fridge and plenty of change :)