Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

chaging headligt globs on wm caprice

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by beejayz-nz1, Apr 26, 2014.

1. beejayz-nz1

beejayz-nz1 New Member

Members Ride:
    wm holden caprice
    i just changed the left side headlight globe on my wm caprice. the manual says can only be done by holden who apparently remove the front bar.yeah right and at wot cost.i stepped outside the square and a lot of you say need to remove the front bar lol noway.so looked under the bonnet took top af air box off removed the 2 retaining nuts on base of airbox and screw inside air box only to find couldn't get frame of box past positive jumper terminal so trimmed the box back with hacksaw nice and tidy mind you and out popped the whole air breather box leaving a huge empty space to unscrew the back panel of the head light.6 self tappers and instant access to globes. c'mon guys think outside the square. any bet holden don't remove the front bar but charge you for it.

2. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    i bet holden take to it with a hacksaw too ;)

3. profat

profat Member

Members Ride:
    vt olympic model
    Another brilliant design by car engineers who never actually try to work on what they design......I applaud you beejayz-nz1 for going against the machine

4. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    applaud him for hacking up his car? LOL. im all for people working on their own car, but theres no need to "modify" parts for such simple tasks.

are you going to take a holesaw to the boot trims when you cant get the tail lights out?

for anyone else who sees this thread and thinks what you did was a great idea, heres how its done. rather easy, dont really even need to jack the car up or remove inner liners. just push them out the way while you undo the 2 bolts.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...51347-wm-caprice-high-beam-light-upgrade.html

5. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    It takes less than 10 minutes to get the front bar off. And at once every 20,000km odd that a bulb actually blows....it's a small price knowing tht the car isnt now butchered.

6. maxthedralf

maxthedralf New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve Calais V
    thats all crap. you can easly replace them. just take off the radiator shroud. then pull out the coolent neck. it just pops off. and change the lights.. for the other side. just remove the air filter box. takes 20 min to replace. no bumper bar removed.

7. jr_

jr_ Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II Sportwagon
    Is the Caprice 100% identical to a Calais? (assume you have a Calais V, as per your ride - or you are talking from experience as you have family or friend with Stato or Cap?)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  8. rjp

rjp Member

Members Ride:
    WM Caprice
    Only the Series one Caprice and the later series two Caprice V's are the same; they have the Bi Xenon setup for the high/low beam and H7s for the high with the screw in back cover.

I've read a few posts about being able to change the bulbs in my Caprice (series one) but I've yet to work it out. As hakhawk says above, I remove the front bar. Takes about 20 mins all up.

9. maxthedralf

maxthedralf New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve Calais V
    my dad had a stato. its totally the same. id dare say it had MORE room for your hands then my car. the only difference are those little like.. eye brow lights. but everything is the same. if you get somome with a normal ve holden owners manual. its at the back of section 6. they are super easy to replace.

10. rjp

rjp Member

Members Ride:
    WM Caprice
    Yes, Statesman's and every other VE/VM except the Caprices are the same.

However, only the Caprices (and later V series) have Bi Xenon from the factory. You can tell the Bi Xenon from the factory as they have washers built into the headlight and an auto leveling system. They don't have twist off dust covers, so changing bulbs is not as easy as all other VE/VMs.

11. gottavecalaisv

gottavecalaisv Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
    I have HID in my high beam in my WM Caprice and they make a huge difference, really bright and white. Great mod!

12. Marsss

Marsss New Member

Members Ride:
    WM Caprice
    so other than buying the OEM low beam from Holden which is ridiculously priced, what's an aftermarket alternative?

13. Marsss

Marsss New Member

Members Ride:
    WM Caprice
    So what's the alternative to the low beam aftermarket wise? Holden want 195 for the bulb, there's gotta be something better out there.

14. TrickyRicky08

TrickyRicky08 New Member

Members Ride:
    wm caprice 6.0
    I’m wanting to enhance my low/high beam in my series 1 wm caprice. What do I need to buy for this?
    Also I’ve bought some globes for most of the car to improve their look. The reverse lights I got are led’s but they are rated 6000 in the spectrum. They are that blue that they are useless as reverse lights. What should I have aimed for about 4300? Or 5000?
    Cheers everyone