Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

chaging headligt globs on wm caprice

beejayz-nz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
wm holden caprice
i just changed the left side headlight globe on my wm caprice. the manual says can only be done by holden who apparently remove the front bar.yeah right and at wot cost.i stepped outside the square and a lot of you say need to remove the front bar lol noway.so looked under the bonnet took top af air box off removed the 2 retaining nuts on base of airbox and screw inside air box only to find couldn't get frame of box past positive jumper terminal so trimmed the box back with hacksaw nice and tidy mind you and out popped the whole air breather box leaving a huge empty space to unscrew the back panel of the head light.6 self tappers and instant access to globes. c'mon guys think outside the square. any bet holden don't remove the front bar but charge you for it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
i bet holden take to it with a hacksaw too ;)

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
Another brilliant design by car engineers who never actually try to work on what they design......I applaud you beejayz-nz1 for going against the machine

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
applaud him for hacking up his car? LOL. im all for people working on their own car, but theres no need to "modify" parts for such simple tasks.

are you going to take a holesaw to the boot trims when you cant get the tail lights out?

for anyone else who sees this thread and thinks what you did was a great idea, heres how its done. rather easy, dont really even need to jack the car up or remove inner liners. just push them out the way while you undo the 2 bolts.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/wm-caprice-high-beam-light-upgrade.151347

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
It takes less than 10 minutes to get the front bar off. And at once every 20,000km odd that a bulb actually blows....it's a small price knowing tht the car isnt now butchered.

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
thats all crap. you can easly replace them. just take off the radiator shroud. then pull out the coolent neck. it just pops off. and change the lights.. for the other side. just remove the air filter box. takes 20 min to replace. no bumper bar removed.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
thats all crap. you can easly replace them. just take off the radiator shroud. then pull out the coolent neck. it just pops off. and change the lights.. for the other side. just remove the air filter box. takes 20 min to replace. no bumper bar removed.

Is the Caprice 100% identical to a Calais? (assume you have a Calais V, as per your ride - or you are talking from experience as you have family or friend with Stato or Cap?)

Last edited:

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Only the Series one Caprice and the later series two Caprice V's are the same; they have the Bi Xenon setup for the high/low beam and H7s for the high with the screw in back cover.

I've read a few posts about being able to change the bulbs in my Caprice (series one) but I've yet to work it out. As hakhawk says above, I remove the front bar. Takes about 20 mins all up.

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
my dad had a stato. its totally the same. id dare say it had MORE room for your hands then my car. the only difference are those little like.. eye brow lights. but everything is the same. if you get somome with a normal ve holden owners manual. its at the back of section 6. they are super easy to replace.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Yes, Statesman's and every other VE/VM except the Caprices are the same.

However, only the Caprices (and later V series) have Bi Xenon from the factory. You can tell the Bi Xenon from the factory as they have washers built into the headlight and an auto leveling system. They don't have twist off dust covers, so changing bulbs is not as easy as all other VE/VMs.