Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change Diff from 3.27 to 3.45 or 3.7?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
G'day guys, I have been thinking about doing this for a while now but not sure which way to go. I'm worried that going to 3.45 won't make much of a difference but going to 3.7 will be geared too low. I mainly do city/town driving with the occasional highway trip up/down the coast. Drive 45mins each way to work and back. About half of that is 60/70km zones other half 80/90km zones.

What do you guys reckon?

Would I get much of a difference out of a 3.45?
Would 3.7 be too low?

I'm after a fair increase in acceleration from stand still. Having an alloytec as well as the 4speed auto, 20" wheels, and 3.26 diff it's a bit sluggish off the mark.

Cheers

on our last criuse syd/can/bath/syd, one of the driver's car was running 3.9 down from 3.08 . the engine rpm's were up just 500, (2500 rpm @ 110 kph)
their wasent that much extra in fuel consumpion, but a big difference launch capability.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
the difference between the high output alloytec and the standard one isn't the exhaust. it's the cam phasing, the 180kw doesn't have cam phasing the 195 does phyically different motors and different ecu's aswell.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
the difference between the high output alloytec and the standard one isn't the exhaust. it's the cam phasing, the 180kw doesn't have cam phasing the 195 does phyically different motors and different ecu's aswell.

learn something new every day :D

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
on our last criuse syd/can/bath/syd, one of the driver's car was running 3.9 down from 3.08 . the engine rpm's were up just 500, (2500 rpm @ 110 kph)
their wasent that much extra in fuel consumpion, but a big difference launch capability.

Ah ok that gives me some confidence in going with the 3.7 I would like to go 3.7 but was a bit worried it may be to big a jump but it should be ok by the sounds of it.

To the OP have a look around for a LSD from a Manual V8, belive their running 3.46 in the utes, not too sure about the sedans/wagons

Yeah the Manual V8's sedan and ute have 3.45 ratio diff's. My dad has a manual SSV I could talk him into giving me his 3.45 and him getting a 3.7 but I think going from 3.27 to a 3.45 wouldn't really make much difference.

So it looks like if I do end up going with a new diff it will be a 3.7. I will get the CAI and tune done first to see how that goes. If i'm not happy with it after that than I will do the diff.

Cheers for the opinions guys