Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change In Supercars

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
In 2003 Juzza and I were at the sandown 500 and watched Skaife absolutely flog everyone in the old spec car (pre project blueprint) It was the cars swansong as HRT wheeled out the new spec car for Bathurst and have gone downhill from there. There is a very steep learning curve when you adapt new technology to a car that has never had it before and it will take at least 5-10 more years before we see holden back to how it was. Mcpherson struts were well proven and have always given the commodore superior bite at the front and therefore the ability to "dial out" oversteer to an acceptable level. The AU was reputed to have a very bad case of understeer and could not be corrected before the introduction of the BA.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
1991_Vn2nV said:
Excuse me if im wrong, but aren't the 5l engines used in the V8 supercars in Holdens actually made by Hemi or something? So it wouldnt be using a ford/holden 5l engine.

It the 302 Chev smallblock, from the Z28 Camaro it was designed to be a high reving motor, The Supercar version might have used the 18 degree Bowtie heads, but I don't think they are legal with the new rules. The Fords use the 302 Ford Windsor, same block that was in the (non Cleveland) versions of the V8 Falcon road cars in the old days all I can say is lucky they don't have to run stock pushrods :p, neither engine is any better than the Holden 5 liter and no match for a LS1.

I don't even watch V8 supercars anymore, might as well watch Nascar now it's all the same crap :), Historic touring cars is where it's at for me

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yeah historics are the go, or the grassroots production car series'. Saloon cars is always fun, as is commodore cup.

V

VLEATNF6

ucwepn said:
Holdens in V8 supercars are also required to run double wishbone front suspension like the fords have.

True because the doule wishbone setup is far superior to anything on the front end of a Holden (except the HSV coupe4). So Holden run this setup otherwise they would be left behind.

ucwepn said:
So Avesco have litterally pegged the holden back to ford standard to make the racing more exciting.
Where did u pull this statement out from? Ur a@#$? Most likely

ucwepn said:
Ford are behind by a few years at least (maybe 10) because they did not compete in touring car racing in Aus with a falcon after the XE right up until the EB came out.

Racing is racing. This is another absurd statement you make. The current V8 supercars have hardly any relation to the group A cars of the past. Ford still raced just not always flogging a dead horse like a Falcon AS HOLDEN did with their commodores and got their a@#$% handed too by much lighter, smaller and faster cars.

ucwepn said:
Don't you think its strange that holden hardly lost a race and then all of a sudden ambrose starts winning?

Now you know why.

Rubish go check your stats again.

V

VLEATNF6

VK_308 said:
it would be so much more interesting if was how it used to be, the toranas against xy gts, with nissan bluebirds and rx-7s all on the same track.. i think they should let nissan run skylines, mitsubishi run beefed up evo lancers etc, it would make the racing so much more exciting

It's being done to some extent already. Highly modified versions of most cars race in the Japan GT series. Here in Aus we have the Performance car, where again the import stuff (mainly EVO's and STi's) are weight penalised and boost capped because the local stuff like Clubbys and GT's are no match for the Jap terrors. Still makes for some interesting racing.

Also a comment about Group A loosing spectators in the past. The main reason for this was because in reality the only car that could be baught and the public could relate too was a Commodore Group A. Cars like RS500 cosworth, M3, Jags, Skyline GTR's, Turbo RX-7, Turbo Skylines and Volvos (I know there were more), were just either impossible to purchase or just way overpriced and limited in numbers for your average punter. This is why it lost its appeal not because the racing was bad. Group A rules were actually great for car enthusiasts around the world. It forced manufactures to build a lot of the road rockets we enjoy today, and also force them to think outside the sqaure. Without Group A there would never have been cars like GTR, EVO, STi, Cosworth Fords, M3 etc. If it wasnt for this there would be no HSV or FPV today. It's cause of Group A we have these Aussie companies. IF it was left to the Yobbos who didnt understand Group A and now support V8 supercars we would still be living out in the sticks and driving Kingswoods. Aussie have to loose this yobbo mentality of "V8 + RWD = best". Because its not always the case, and this has been proven.

Todays V8 supercars is nothing but a clone racing series. The cars actually relate nothing to the Holden or Ford you buy off the showroom floor. Most Aussies are just too "numbnuts in the brain" to realise it. Thats why they support this for of crap motorsport. You see clowns with their Ford or Holden banners shouting and booing, what idiots. Other than the skin around these cars, theyre actually exactly the same. What a joke Touring car racing has become in this country.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
VLEATNF6 said:
Other than the skin around these cars, they're actually exactly the same. What a joke Touring car racing has become in this country.

You could look at it like that, and anyone who knows the sport knows that the cars aren't like the days of Group A.
But look at the racing it's the closest Touring car championship in the world. The Japan touring car isn't very close and that to me equals boring.
Did you see the numbers drop in the F1 when schui was always winning, thats a joke of a sport.
Close racing equals exciting viewing and more viewers and the sport will grow hence why V8 supercars is doing so well.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
vztrt said:
You could look at it like that, and anyone who knows the sport knows that the cars aren't like the days of Group A.
But look at the racing it's the closest Touring car championship in the world. The Japan touring car isn't very close and that to me equals boring.
Did you see the numbers drop in the F1 when schui was always winning, thats a joke of a sport.
Close racing equals exciting viewing and more viewers and the sport will grow hence why V8 supercars is doing so well.
it's like picking a horse race to close to call
as for someone elses coment about wishbone faster in corners = false.
however now they share so many components who is driving what
more or less it's just a badge! still very close racing thou
to win the race is now driver/setup not horsepower.