Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change Instrument Cluster

NO_Idea64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6L Executive
Guys,

Got my father who has a VY strugging a bit to see parts of the instrument cluster. My plan or idea was to change his instrument cluster to a VZ which has a Speedo digital readout. I myself have VZ and he likes the idea of seeing the speed readout so easy. Can someone tell me if this project is possible and whats involved with the job. Any suggestions or ideas are most welcomed.:) :) :)

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
Sorry you need to get a VY instrument cluster for a VY.
The VZ has a different plug, thats why it is a VZ.

Even the clusters are different between the VY series I and VY series II.
Also the new cluster must have under 100km's on the clock to be able to do any adjustments to it, such as changing the km's.
Someone else maybe able to help you with the V6 to V8 unit or the other way around.
As I'm not sure if the two items are interchangeable.

The digital speedo can be enabled by "Holden's Tech 2" application for the VY.
Should be called "Police mode".
I have read that you will lose the option of setting the "Overspeed" yourself.
So have the "Overspeed" set all the way up, to as high as it goes.
As you will not be able to move it once this is done.
It will be going off at a speed that you may get really annoying(but they should really do that).

Also, you/he can bring up a similar option with the "Set/Mode" pressed on start-up, then scrolling through the options.
Only problem is that it is really small print and you have to do it every time you turn the engine off.

I think thats about right.
Also do a "search" on these topics as this will/may have been covered before.
:thumbsup:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
like said before the clusters arnt interchangeable betwenn vy and vz, the cheapest option is to get reprogrammed by holden, but if you/he dont like the cluster itself you could by a ss, calais berlina etc, just remember that they would still need to be reprogrammed by holden