Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changed all parts to new, VP running hot?

anth34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore V6 3.8 S1
He tested the temp gauge while in the cluster, connected some wire to it and said it was reading correct.
I asked about the wiring and plug in the dash behind the cluster but he said he doesn't need to check that it's ok?

Last edited:

anth34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore V6 3.8 S1
I changed the cluster with a second hander from the wreckers.
It now runs 2 bars on the temp gauge in the traffic, fan kicks in under half, runs at 1 quarter on the gauge on the highway.
Seems to be a temp gauge problem that wasn't fixed

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
so did the car actually ever overheat or was it just always the dash reading out. Would be bad if a auto leccy lead you on a bum steer that whole time, and you replaced everything on his advice on the tests that he done

anth34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore V6 3.8 S1
Most mechanics will try to rip you off, in this situation, even the person that deals with instruments tried to rip me off by not repairing the faulty gauge, and blaming a engine trouble problem which I did not believe in. They all had different opinions, most of them saying head problem.
Anyway saved some money putting in the parts myself, only thing I paid for was the original cluster to be repaired, which I complained about and got my money back.
I also put in a electric temp gauge which the temp gauge sensor unit is hooked up to the top radiator hose.
I haven't taken the car for a cruise on the highway, only in local traffic. It is running hottest in local traffic, hits 90 degrees celcius fan cuts in hanging around 85 degrees celcius on the temp gauge when at it's hottest and idling, for a while.
What is the normal operating temperature of a vp? and how hot in degrees, is classed as overheating?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
about 90-95 degrees is normal i think, the thermostats on vp's open at around 80-85 degrees, depends what its been replaced with in the past.

anth34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore V6 3.8 S1
tried bleeding the coolant system to get rid of any air trapped in it?

Yes I bleed through the screw on the thermostat housing everytime I remove coolant.
What temp is overheating?