Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changeing the Omega Stereo...

WannaHsV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega Commodore
Hi.. just wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to get the Omega Stereo changed over to the SSV/Calais style stereo and if anyone knows were to get it done... :yeah:

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Hi.. just wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to get the Omega Stereo changed over to the SSV/Calais style stereo and if anyone knows were to get it done... :yeah:

Hi mate... i have heard of someone attempting this but did not go through with it as something with the screen wont work with the omega system. It also will cost a fair bit too. But if you can find out more information and you are willing to spend $$$ please let us know how it goes.

Cheers

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
That's a big job. You'd have to do a lot of conversion electronics for it. It's not a simple swap.

The SSV unit has a lot more functions on it that are incompatible with the Omega. Things like the fan control is analogue, controlled with a dial on the budget models where the SSV has a Up/Down button which displays a graphic for fan speed. That's just one example of a hurdle you need to get over.

You'd need to do a lot of f'k a5sing around to get it working like it is in an SSV mate. Also, the Omega unit isn't so bad. You've got most of the functions already there anyway. The SSV just has a TFT screen and Dual-zone climate control which is just a gimmick anyway.

My suggestion would be to save your money and put it towards better speakers if you wanted better audio. The SSV head unit isn't that much greater than the budget models anyway, still uses Korean made paper cone speakers.

Or save like crazy in a term deposit for a while and get an VF SSV when it's released (Or whatever the hell they're making in their secret bunker at Fisherman's bend :p) No shame in bumming around a budget car before you get a performance model, I did it. Rather than spending the cash on the budget model and no money to buy a performance car.

WannaHsV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega Commodore
Cool thanx guys i was thinkin it would b more trouble than its worth lol... and yea ime watin for my raise to get an ss :)

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Good luck with saving. Most people don't know how to do it properly.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
The SSV just has a TFT screen and Dual-zone climate control which is just a gimmick anyway.

dual zone's not a gimmick its good to keep the missus happy and yourself at the same time;)

also the screen is used for the reverse sensors display and sat nav......

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Also, the Omega unit isn't so bad. You've got most of the functions already there anyway. My suggestion would be to save your money and put it towards better speakers if you wanted better audio.

Agree with above suggestion. It has the ipod aux anyway, who the hells need a 6 stacker. I changed all the speakers in mine with decent gear powered by a quality amp bloody good enough for me :thumbsup:

Or save like crazy in a term deposit for a while and get an VF SSV when it's released (Or whatever the hell they're making in their secret bunker at Fisherman's bend :p) No shame in bumming around a budget car before you get a performance model, I did it. Rather than spending the cash on the budget model and no money to buy a performance car.

~Miyagi voice~

"Very wise words Danielson" :thumbsup:

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
put up with the basic sound system for the suburbs, and turn it off for your favourite country road and enjoy the V6 growl when you give it some stick. (its no V8 sound for sure, but its not bad in the upper rev range)

boss8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Ute
How do you go with the security pin, where do you get it I have just bought a 6 stacker out of an SS and I dont have the pin