Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changeover VY engine blows smoke on start up had engine only 5 weeks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I didn't do the compression test because I need to adapt my gauge over to a screw in fitting, the push in type is a pain to use and not accurate. I wonder where I could get the fittings from.

I also noticed fresh oil on the left hand side rocker cover, it appears that fresh oil has been leaking from the throttle body where the gas venturi connects to the throttle body, how is fresh unburnt oil ending up there?

Have you taken the car back to where you got the motor from? With all the questions over the past 6 days, you could have had the car back to them to check out the engine and let them determine if you have a claim and updated us with what they said.

So I'd be grabbing the keys and the paper work for the motor and taking a drive back to where it came from....Then update us with progress, rather than query what it can be....

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
Have you taken the car back to where you got the motor from? With all the questions over the past 6 days, you could have had the car back to them to check out the engine and let them determine if you have a claim and updated us with what they said.

So I'd be grabbing the keys and the paper work for the motor and taking a drive back to where it came from....Then update us with progress, rather than query what it can be....

Spoken to him, he said sounds like valve stem seals, he's looking at it next week, I had no time to leave it with him this week, now that I've got the Ford back on the road I can leave it with him for a day.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
The car is with them at the moment, they have kept it overnight. They feel that the problem is the PCV valve not operating causing oil to get up into the throttle body and thus into the combustion chamber upon start ups but intermittently. One of them said "that's what you get when you put a car on gas" I told them it was already on gas when I bought it. I said I assume this is warranty work, and they said if it's to do with the engine yes it is. I will know more tomorrow when I collect it. I have asked them not to carry out any non warranty work which is going to cost me more money and they told me they wouldn't without my consent first, but they have a deep dislike for lpg vehicles, they can be a a pain at times but @63 cpl I can't handle a little 'pain'.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Gas has nothing to do with it. People who don't like gas don't understand it, or have had experiences with very poor lpg installations or poorly maintained/set up systems.

They'll certainly try to blame the gas system to try and save themselves the money and effort. Just make sure you don't mention any backfiring, because even though that won't cause any problems, they'll likely claim that it caused the problem.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Never had a car on lpg do this.
The pcv valve doesn't go anywhere near the throttle body (it's deep inside the intake manifold like you would've seen pulling it apart, and any oil that would get into it would keep the pcv valve lubricated and not let it dry out... exactly the same as it would on petrol which never goes anywhere near it either).
Have a factory lpg ecotec that's done 500,000 km's (engine number matches the mod plate so it's def the original) that doesn't blow any smoke.... poor thing is getting tired though, i bet i would be to after running that long, what fuel you run it on has ####all effect on a major problem that burns oil to this extent, worse case is a high km engine may burn out valves but being a newer engine designed to run on unleaded it'll have hardened seats and valves which negates this issue.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
There appears to be a hose running from the pcv valve up to the throttle body, that hose may be the source of oil getting up into the throttle body if the pcv valve is jammed.....maybe. The intermittent nature of the smoke blowing on start up tends to rule out valve stem seals which would more than likely do it all the time especially on cold start ups. What a headache, my xr6t is getting a gas injector replaced today so I won't have any cars at all......push bike time :(

I've also had several cars on gas and have never seen this problem.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
That's just a breather (although part of the pcv system) it's on the outside of the butterfly so it's not a high vacuum area, basically just to make sure any excess crank case vapor does go through the engine and not vent to the atmosphere.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
I got it back today and so far no smoke on start up and no major oil drips from the throttle body, they said they think it's fixed and that the pcv valve was jammed shut, he said that if I were to remove the oil filler cap while the engine is idling it would begin to stall. I had tried this previously and it did start to stall when I removed the cap but ran fine once the cap was replaced. So far so good let's hope it stays that way, I will be keeping an eye out for oil under the throttle body and of course blue smoke on start up. It is still under warranty until 9th July :) But it's out of Rego next week :( and I'm driving the xr6t again :)

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I've been driving the vy for a few days now and so far no smoke on start up and no traces of oil from the throttle body. I think they have honored the warranty and have fixed it. I have said from the start they are a good mob :)