Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing diff gears

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
Hi I was wondering if anyone can explain to me exactly how to change your diff gears yourself and what tools are required?
The reason I ask is that I have a spare diff and the gears I want in it 4.11 (for a vn v6 non irs) and I got qutoed $800 for it .....
I can see how a diff could be so difficult, I have rebuilt an engine before but thought I should ask you guys first.
so what should I know?

cheers Adam

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I would not reccomend attempting this one yourself, if you don't set the lash up correctly you will end up with a whinning diff and one that most likely wont see its 1st birthday.
AirStrike :air:

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
ok then can i bolt up a vl turbo diff to my vn

will the tailshaft bolt on and will my 17 235 tyres fit with the slightly smaller diff

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
A Vl diff can be bolted up but you will have trouble fitting wide rims on due to the narrow dimentions. V6 Vengence has a VLT diff bolted up, but he cant use the 15x8's that he had made up and you would have either 17x7's or 17x8's, plus im not sure if it is a straight swap, you might have to modify the tailshaft to suit.
AirStrike :air:

P

pathfinderus maximus

i wouldnt hesitate at pulling my diff apart

only note being, as stated above, when you put it back together you need to set the 'back lash'

if it were me i would put it back together and drive very gently to the nearest diff shop and get the to set back lash, & the only reason i would get them to do it is because i dont have my own 'dial gauge'.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
thanks for that info ill do it soon and let every1 know how I go