Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing from 22's to 20's Opinions?

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
Hi all,

Just wanting to get some opinions on changing from 22's to 20's - Exactly the same style rim just in a 20 inch rim.

Thoughts??

Thanks
Antonio

View attachment 165460

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
20's ride like crap, I don't even want to think about how bad 22's must ride.

Personally I think 20's look good on a VE, and 22's look a little too big.

Considering you have coilovers you will be easily be able to dial in a good ride height again for the 20's without too many issues.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
22's are illegal. Nuff said really.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
Why do you want to change? Your car looks great IMO.

Just having a few issues with suspension and what not, and everytime i turn the wheel the wheels are scrapping on the plastic guards at the front...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
22's are illegal. Nuff said really.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for that, your comment really contributes to the thread.

OP, there are plenty of good looking 20s out there, it all depends on the style you're after. If you want stylish chrome look that your current wheels have, maybe look at some Verde or G-MAX rims, or perhaps some standard Holden 20s if that's what you're into.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Just having a few issues with suspension and what not, and everytime i turn the wheel the wheels are scrapping on the plastic guards at the front...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I would definitely change to a 20 inch wheel (and you have a much larger range of wheels to choose from).

With the suspension as low as shown in the photo plus an oversize diameter tyre I am not surprised you are experiencing some scraping. 245 30 22 tyres are typically used up front when a 25 profile tyre is needed to get the correct diameter on a 22 inch wheel. But these 25 profile tyres would not meet the minimum load rating so the larger diameter 30 profile tyres are usually fitted.

Going to a 20 inch wheel and a 245 35 20 tyre you will have the correct diameter tyre - 680 mm (smaller in total diameter than the 245 30 22 which is 707 mm) but if the front suspension is set too low you may still experience some fouling with sufficient suspension movement.

The 20 inch wheel and tyre will also usually be about 5kgs lighter than the 22 inch set up and anything to reduce unsprung weight is a plus for handling.

You have a very nice car.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Another one for 20's here. A mate had them in his ute and I think they ride fine.

Also IMO I think it would make your car look 100x better. The 22's just look to big to me. Each to their own though :)

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
but if the front suspension is set too low you may still experience some fouling with sufficient suspension movement.

You have a very nice car.

I believe he has heaps of room in the front if 20s are fiited. I have aggressive offset 20x9.5s up front and zero clearance issue's without guard rolling.

Plus he has coilovers anyway if low was an issue :)