Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing fuel filter on a VT.

M

mrVT

Hey all i have a vt 2000 series 2 and have never changed the fuel filter having it 5 yrs and was wondering if its easy to change as i have never done it b4, can i just crawl under back of car and reach it? does the strap that holds the fuel filter need changing to or can be used again??? any tips on removal and fitting new one???

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
ok these are different to older cars. under the back of your fuel tank follow your line you wont go far and you'll find it just near your suspension if i remember correctly. get 2 sets of multi grips and cut off the fuel supply at both sides of the fuel filter. release the strap and pull the filter out one side at a time. replace with new one and strap up again. been a while since i done mine any other members feel free to abuse my negligence :p but if memory serves its simple as and be ware you will lose a couple thimbles of fuel

south21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
First release the fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump relay then starting car till it won.t run any more, you can get a kit from repco or supercheap to help you remove the fuel lines from filter, if you buy the new filter from holden then you get a new plastic bracket that holds the filter to the underbody if you buy aftermarket then you don't get this bracket so don't damage bracket. a couple of tips blow the little connectors out with compressed air to remove any build up of dirt and work the clips back and forward, also when putting filter back on put a drop of engine oil on each end of the filter this aids in the correct seating of the locking tabs. DO NOT USE MULTI GRIPS ONTHE LINES AS THEY ARE PLASTIC AND THEY MIGHT SPLIT. and believe me when i say you do not want to have to replace the lines, you must relieve the pressure or they will not come off.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
When I had a VT the lines on the filter could be removed by hand without a tool, just squeeze the sides and pull.

south21 is pretty much spot on with his procedure.

igotmeavt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore acclaim
First release the fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump relay then starting car till it won.t run any more, you can get a kit from repco or supercheap to help you remove the fuel lines from filter, if you buy the new filter from holden then you get a new plastic bracket that holds the filter to the underbody if you buy aftermarket then you don't get this bracket so don't damage bracket. a couple of tips blow the little connectors out with compressed air to remove any build up of dirt and work the clips back and forward, also when putting filter back on put a drop of engine oil on each end of the filter this aids in the correct seating of the locking tabs. DO NOT USE MULTI GRIPS ONTHE LINES AS THEY ARE PLASTIC AND THEY MIGHT SPLIT. and believe me when i say you do not want to have to replace the lines, you must relieve the pressure or they will not come off.

i think it depends on the brand of aftermarket fuel filter i just purchased a ryco and it came with the bracket

Overdose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Exec
I pulled the relay and all that but beware of fuel still in the filter that will cover you if your not careful. And yeh all you have to do is squeez the clips with your fingers and wiggle off carefully.

Bronson3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'd rather that than make a new one and have split up information everywhere making it a pain for others to search for info. But after removing the relay and cranking, can I then move forward with replacing the filter or do I need to block the lines somehow? Is it necessary at all? And how much fuel should I expect to flow out? Don't want to get a shock and not be prepared is all haha.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
After removing the relay (I did it while it was running) you are safe to remove the filter.
Some fuel will leak but not much, so don't have your head under it when you remove the filter.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Whether you use a quick release tool or just your fingers (I would recommend the tool as you can purchase one for less than $10), wrap a piece of cloth loosely around your hand and the connector a couple of times before you try and release the connector, to absorb any fuel that leaks/sprays out. Much better than getting fuel in your eyes and elsewhere !!! As south21 says, never try and clamp the fuel lines. There will also be quite an amount of fuel left in the filter so have a container handy.