Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing gears in an auto

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
bextor84 said:
As for using the auto to slow down? What the??? !! I don't even use my manual for that, It's bad for the engine and thats what brakes are there for.

Um...thats what manuals are good for, cause it doesnt hurt the gearbox, yes thats what brakes are for, but you rment to slow the car wit the geas in a manual.

V

VLHOOD

Salem said:
Um...thats what manuals are good for, cause it doesnt hurt the gearbox, yes thats what brakes are for, but you rment to slow the car wit the geas in a manual.
You can stop in any gear, just put the clutch in.
or put it in N and use the brakes then start from 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore sl
ah well it just depends on ur driving style, changing down gears in a manual is fine if ur not excessive in ur rpms, anyway ur suppose to use a manul box to stop u from speeding up to much going down a hill as well, so this would be engine braking. how many autos ya see on the brake every 2 seconds going down a steep hill to keep under the speed limit? anyhow, in an auto sure its not a good idea shifting down to haul up fast, but if its needed then its cool just as long as its not often. manually shifting up is ok as long as u know ur box is capable of it (shift kitted always better), as was mentioned before, most sport modes let the engine rev out in newer models anyway, so i dunno, its up to u how u want to drive ur car!

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
VLHOOD said:
You can stop in any gear, just put the clutch in.
or put it in N and use the brakes then start from 1

yer obsiously, just does depend on your driving style

F

flash

i think that everyone changes gears in an auto because it's fun. have control of what gear ur in just like a manual. we cant get a manual coz to few out there so we make do with the auto. and for puting it in N then stoping then changing to first, are u mad what u gonna do if something happens and u need to power out of there, waste more time putting it into gear and if u drove like that in ur driving test u would fail. well anyways im always using my gears and my box is just fine.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Nah Salem, dropping down to 2nd and using compression braking is not healthy for your engine at all. It's not much different.

Bleaaargh

Its because i scream alot
Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VU Auto, Saweeet.
in the driving test they urge you to not shift down. less concentration on the gearbox and more on traffic or some story similar.

but my mates dont do it and fly through their brakes, i just feel lots more in control, safer and smoother keeping my car in gear, sure its just a matter of changing to the right gear and letting back on the clutch, but then again, i dont have to even do that.

what about corners, do you guys go around them with your clutch in aswell?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Nope.

I don't do anything with my clutch in.

Unless its past midnight, then I roll down the street, and start the car while im rolling, put it in third and coast off.. Luckily I can roll a good few hundred meters hehe..

R

rattattack1313

hilll??

they have a hill in rockhampton????? coool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never noticed one the few times I have been there....loool...... :yeah:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
haha, we've got plenty of hills- just no rain..