Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Globes for my headlights

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Hey all

I got a 2008 ve and i bought some better and more powerful lights or globes but when i installed them, one side seems to be wider then the other and one side the projection goes futhur then the other.

On the stock h7 globes the bottoms are coloured black and orange and the new globes i purchased has a different style filament inside it aswell, does that mean one is for the left and the other is for the right side or it doesnt matter what side they go in ?

jayperformance

light it up
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn Calais 5l
head lights are designed to have a wider rh spread and a longer lh projection, putting in them globes would of just multiplied or intensified that characteristic.

chad1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 ute manual
not sure but when i installed mine i put them in upside down and had the same problem where the beam was not projecting normally , try turning the globe around any hopefully that sould solve your problems.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
not sure but when i installed mine i put them in upside down and had the same problem where the beam was not projecting normally , try turning the globe around any hopefully that sould solve your problems.

How would you know if there upside down mate ?

And the globes i bought are 100w, same as this in the link

HOLDEN VE CALAIS OMEGA H7 BLUE HALOGEN HEADLIGHT GLOBES | eBay

but i believe i read somewhere on here that the 100w are no good as they can burn out your reflector headlights as when i put my hand over the headlights they are pretty hot.

chad1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 ute manual
How would you know if there upside down mate ?

And the globes i bought are 100w, same as this in the link

HOLDEN VE CALAIS OMEGA H7 BLUE HALOGEN HEADLIGHT GLOBES | eBay

but i believe i read somewhere on here that the 100w are no good as they can burn out your reflector headlights as when i put my hand over the headlights they are pretty hot.

i had my brothers ute parked next to me and i compared them. if there upside down you will see that there is a small gap around the housing and the globe will also be on a slight angle.
if it was really hard to put the clip back into place then its also a good chance that the globe was installed incorrectly.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Can someone comment on the globes i bought to tell me if they are good or not as i dont want to cause any damage from using these for a long period of time ?

chad1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 ute manual
Can someone comment on the globes i bought to tell me if they are good or not as i dont want to cause any damage from using these for a long period of time ?

tbh mate i reckon you would be doing damage if you keep on using them. just my 2c and they dont look to good either.

wake jake

Reaction score
Members Ride
SIDI SV6 Ute
They will fry the inside. Wouldn't go anything higher than stock, stick with 35W

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
How about the Phillips Diamond vision 12v 55w ? Would they be a safer option as I still want the white light with a bit of blue in them aswell.

Do these come in 35w or anything similar to these I can try ?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
From all my research, the best bulb replacement is the Osram H7 Rallye 65w 2100 lumen bulb (factory bulb output is only around 1400 lumens).

I have ordered a set for parent's VE Berlina. I have posted in another thread regarding H7 bulbs. Once I install new bulbs, I will advise how much better they are for those interested.

Here's a link where to buy: Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special-Service Bulb

Here's a link regarding bulb outputs (very interesting): Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Here's a link to a thread regarding H7 bulb upgrades: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...2006/170421-best-h7-globes-ve-headlights.html