Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Speedo panel to the blue or white HSV one

shrebcke13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S-pack
Ive been looking at replacing the insert where i see the taco and the speedometer etc! On ebay etc there are inserts available, HSV white, blue, red etc! I just need to know if anyone can help me out with getting to this insert and whether its particularly difficult! Maybe a step-by-step thing if anyone's done one!
Thanks Guys

K Lewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT S Pack; 5 Spd Man
Same, be much helpfull.

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Ive heard of others doing it and i wouldn't think it would be that difficult, you pull the dash apart to get to the speedo, you should be able to unclip/screw the cover (someone will know which), screen comes off, you pull the dials off and put the new fascia on.

Do that in reverse to put it back together.
To get the needles back where they were, start the car holding down the down+mode button or up+mode button (i forget which) then you can get to an option where it puts all the needles at certain places (i,e kms goes to 100km or straight up). Theres a write up on the net with pics somewhere for what i have just written.

DVS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
OK just did it this morning. I have done this many times so it took me 30 minutes. It may take you longer.

First of all, if you have the standard stereo you may/may not need to remove it. I can't remember if the stereo is in the way of the dash fasia. If you need too then use the removal tools or just using a wire coat hanger cut in 2 pieces and bent in a U shape. They fit into the holes on the side.

1. First unclip the fuse cover ( part under the steering wheel) and remove the pin by pushing it to the left. The pin is on the left of the cover. Be very careful because it's real easy to break.

Unscrew the 2 screws circled and lift up the console. If you have power windows you can unplug the switch once you have lifted the console up.
55712863.jpg

2. Unscrew the screws circled in the pictures.
41343850.jpg
20677035.jpg
35432003.jpg

3. Unplug the connectors of the Headlight switch, Mode switch and hazard switch. Lower steering wheel to give more room. The console should come off now.

4. Now unscrew the screw circled on the speedo cluster, there are one on each side. Then bring the cluster forward and to the right and pull it out a bit. Then unplug the connector, it's easier to access from the right hand side.
26105402.jpg

5. Once cluster is out unclip the section circled. The clips go right around the cluster.
50500494.jpg

6. Now get your new overlay and mark with a pencil on it where the needles are sitting on the cluster. You will notice that the fuel and temp needles are below the lines.

Now this is the part where you have to be very careful about removing the needles. Some people use forks to lift the up the needles but I pinch them up at the center, black part of the needle. Make sure you lift them up and not bend the pins.

Now just lift up old overlay, it should be sticky so be gentle.
97978572.jpg

7. Putting the needles back might take a few goes to get it right. But remember not to push down to hard. Once you have got them at the correct places carefully with your finger and move them up to see if they swing freely and not get stuck.

8. Everything on is just a reversal of the steps you have just done.

9. If you have the aircon/ heater overlay then before putting everything back follow from here.

Aircon/ Heater overlay

1. Remove the three knobs by prying them with a screw driver.Unscrew the screws circled.
45100378.jpg

2. Unlip the connector.
57834163.jpg

3. Unclip the black clips, there are 3 on the top and on the bottom as shown in the pic.
80366818.jpg

4. Then turn it to the back and unscrew the circled screws, you will need a Torx bit T15.
51958187.jpg

5. Lift up the white plastic to reveal the overlay. Replace with yours and reverse the process to put it all back.
37944092.jpg

6. All finished
finnished.jpg

If I have missed something then just ask. Waiting for tonight to see what it looks like.

Cheers

carbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Pinoy Mafia
thanks mate.. very helpful..
also helps with the tutorial on removing the fascia.. hehe!

Harpo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina 3.8
Thanks for that, Im looking forward to the challenge.