Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing VE/VZ spark plugs?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Not really that hard.

1. Remove the intake piping from the throttle body
2. Theres 8 bolts on top of the intake manifold. Remove all but the front right bolt and the rearmost left bolt. This will allow you to lift the manifold to remove coilpacks and spark plugs. You dont need to remove it completely, just lift it up. Leaving those 2 bolts in prevents the 2 piece manifold from seperating and possibly damaging the gasket.
3. Remove coilpacks then plugs.

Note. The rearmost right side bolt is a bastard. It sits low like the front left bolt but is harder to get to being under the plenum. Youll need various length 3/8th extensions to get at it and on the VE it helps the lever up the plenum and jam a block or something in there to allow you to angle the extension into the area that the bolt is in.

Old thread but that bolt is a bugger apart from that easy as, lot quicker to do the L98 but......

LuminaME

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE Lumina 3.6L
I replaced the spark plugs in my VZ commodore yesterday and it was very easy. It took about 40minutes to do in total.

As has already been said you need to remove all the manifold bolts and lift it slightly to allow you to remove the coilpacks and plugs.

So ... many guys said the upper IM doesn't have to be removed completely, and the job only requires levering/lifting intake manifold to gain access room above coils/plugs ... Question is how much "slightly" lifting of intake manifold is required? any approx measure of lifted height?

Since I have Mace intake inslators, which already lifted upper intake manifold by 12mm, I'm thinking if the job can be done without further lifting requirement!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
So ... many guys said the upper IM doesn't have to be removed completely, and the job only requires levering/lifting intake manifold to gain access room above coils/plugs ... Question is how much "slightly" lifting of intake manifold is required? any approx measure of lifted height?

Since I have Mace intake inslators, which already lifted upper intake manifold by 12mm, I'm thinking if the job can be done without further lifting requirement!

Actually , it probably does not need to be lifted much if at all

Emmcee1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010sv6 wagon
Do u have to remove the manifold on an sidi aswell for plug change? Or can you get around it?

LuminaME

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE Lumina 3.6L

Bump for any figures to answer!

Budley05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Thanks

Not really that hard.

1. Remove the intake piping from the throttle body
2. Theres 8 bolts on top of the intake manifold. Remove all but the front right bolt and the rearmost left bolt. This will allow you to lift the manifold to remove coilpacks and spark plugs. You dont need to remove it completely, just lift it up. Leaving those 2 bolts in prevents the 2 piece manifold from seperating and possibly damaging the gasket.
3. Remove coilpacks then plugs.

Note. The rearmost right side bolt is a bastard. It sits low like the front left bolt but is harder to get to being under the plenum. Youll need various length 3/8th extensions to get at it and on the VE it helps the lever up the plenum and jam a block or something in there to allow you to angle the extension into the area that the bolt is in.

Been umming and aaahing over whether to change them myself for months and the whole split the manifold and break the gasket had put me off until I saw your post here and another thread saying to do it with the bolts left in front and rear.

Took just on an hour first go, neighbour told me this morning it was a **** of a job, he came over when i was doing it and he didn't know to lift the whole manifold.

Signed up just to say Thank you Ricey, you're a champion that saved me some cash. Beer time :drink:

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
So if you're not splitting the manifold and lifting it as one piece that bugger of a bolt at the back doesn't need to be undone right? Also I only have 4 bolts on the top of my manifold (not counting the front left one that stays put) not 8 as Ricey said...bit confused and could use some help.

parramatta hox

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve vs6 sportswagon
The my12 plastic manifold is definitely narrower than the alloy vz-early ve commodores shown on you tube.
There's no need to take the manifold off. Just remove the coils and replace the plugs.

Nowwework

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 holden ve calais v6
I never had to take my intake manifold off my alloytec to do plugs thats in 2011 calais not heaps of room but it can easily be done wasnt prepared to risk damaging the gasket i think its just most people prefer to lift it to give them more room