Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing vt fuel pump

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
So I'm changing my fuel pump but there was a few more things to disconnect then I first thought, which is no problem but to be sure could someone give me a quick run through of it? Just so I don't snap anything when removing the tank, cheers

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
Support the tank, undo the 3 straps. one has an earth wire
Lower it a little and disconnect the wiring plug to the pump and the three fuel/return/vapour lines with the special disconnect tool.
Also pull the breather off the filler neck.
Sometimes its easier to take the fuel cap off then lower the whole tank from the car.
Tap the retainer off and pumps out.

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Thanks mate, and what would be the correct tools? I'd rather do it properly rather than risk braking something.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
You can get the proper disconnect tool from repco (set of 2) for about $15

KiwiHoldenDriver

Loud, proud Kiwi
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Spec V6, Suzuki Boulevard S40
I was about to do mine, but I have a couple of questions. Firstly, the fuel pump I was given has the middle of the three pipes broken off. What is that pipe? Can I get by without it? Can i just plug it up? Secondly, does the filler pipe just slide out of the place where it fits trough the body of the car?0

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
You can swap the actual pump from one assembly to the other. That is your only option with the broken pipe.

Use care. Take photos if necessary. Just a few clips, maybe a couple screws but can't remember.

And yes, the filler pipe is part of the tank assembly. After you refit the tank, don't do the bolts up all the way until you adjust the fill pipe into the right position then nip up your support straps.

KiwiHoldenDriver

Loud, proud Kiwi
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Spec V6, Suzuki Boulevard S40
After some procrastinating and some unhelpful weather last weekend, roasting heat one day then thunderstorms the next (ahhh, Auckland weather) I dropped the fuel tank today. Unfortunately I then ran into a problem. I cannot get that damned locking collar to turn. I have been giving it a good solid pounding, and yet it rotated only a couple of millimeters. How the hell do I get it to move the rest of the way?

BTW, I don't recall a suggestion to remove the right rear wheel and wheel well lining to make access to the pipes and power cable. I think that it should be added, if that is possible as it was very helpful for a fat bastard like me :)