Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Wheel Size

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
WinterVX said:
Had a check the other night with the digital speedo, seems mine is off by
2km to the computer aswel....showing 100km on the dials, gigital speedo showing 2km difference

If you want an accurate speedo check, get a lend of a Sat-Nav. This is the most accurate speed read out you can find (using satelite triangulation). I have found every car I have driven (I hire a lot of cars for work) are 5-7kmh slower than actual speed! I have fixed my speedo by adjusting the needle. The digital dash read out may be different to the analog although it can only assume the wheels/tyres/diff are all correct.

Mind you, compare a brand new tyre to a near-bald tyre of the same type and note the difference in diameter.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
WinterVX said:
bump

Anyone else got any comments on the above pics of the wheels im looking
at puttin on, yey or nay...... or any other suggestons for me so I can render
them in on my car?

I like the KSpeed Shallen 18's... If I was going to get some new wheels for my VX S Sedan, that's what I'd get. But I'm getting a VE this year so sadly, the VX is getting NOTHING spent on it at all this year.

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
dont forget to spend a couple of bucks at your holden dealer a get a 18 inch tyre plackard to replace your std one saves bit of confusion when the police man looks at it.

R

RKZ234

Take the car to a Holden dealer. With Tech 2 they can recalibrate the speedo to the new tyre and rim size.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
RKZ234 said:
Take the car to a Holden dealer. With Tech 2 they can recalibrate the speedo to the new tyre and rim size.
You're right, but if upgrading to 18"s, there is no need..

And Holden can be muttdogs with the Tech2, they're the only people who have it, so they charge whatever they want.. Ring a few dealers, in my experience the prices of Tech2 services vary greatly dealer to dealer..

R

RKZ234

Shounak said:
You're right, but if upgrading to 18"s, there is no need..

And Holden can be muttdogs with the Tech2, they're the only people who have it, so they charge whatever they want.. Ring a few dealers, in my experience the prices of Tech2 services vary greatly dealer to dealer..

It actually depends on the tyres fitted, so it is always preferential that you get the dealer to calibrate the computer to the combo fitted to lessen the likelyhood of speedo error. (I've NEVER paid a cent for any Tech 2 calibrations/adjustments at my servicing dealer)

Also, because 18's were fitted to a VY SS and are fitted to a VZ SS as standard, you don't need a new tyre placard when upgrading to 18's on any other VY & VZ Commodore.

Last edited by a moderator:

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
You shouldnt need a new tyre placard on the VX S/SS range either, depending on state laws. VIC law permits that any alloy may be fitted as long as it is no more than 1" greater or less than that stated by the manufacturer on the placard.

VX_GIANTZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX Equipe
where is the placard ment to be? cant seem to find one or there isnt one on my car.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
SikVX01 said:
where is the placard ment to be? cant seem to find one or there isnt one on my car.
Open the drivers door. Just inside the door, the part that you don't see when it's closed..

If you can't find it I'll take a pic..

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
RKZ234 said:
It actually depends on the tyres fitted, so it is always preferential that you get the dealer to calibrate the computer to the combo fitted th lessen the likelyhood of speedo error. (I've NEVER paid a cent for any Tech 2 calibrations/adjustments at my servicing dealer)

Also, because 18's were fitted to a VY SS and are fitted to a VZ SS as standard, you don't need a new tyre placard when upgrading to 18's on any other VY & VZ Commodore.
Well, let me rephrase a bit then. If you have a VX and upgrade to 235/40/R18 tyres, you don't need a Tech2 recalibration. My speedo was EXACTLY the same and so was the guy at Beaurepaire who'd done the same to his VT..

And you're lucky with the Tech2. Enabling police pack, I was quoted $105 by one dealer and apparently other dealers do it for free. I ended up paying about $10 to get it done.. And another dealer quoted me $55..