Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap power mods for a vk 5 litre on straight gas.

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VL Turbo SL soon to be canary yellow bt1 mock
Hi i have a Vk 5 litre on straight gas with a rebuilt motor to suit straight gas it also has a high stall converter and a sports system on it.

What else can i do to extract more power out off it with the 5 litre thats in it. Could i put vn worked heads and bigger cam and valve springs and upgrade the manifold and carby ?

And with the gearbox can you fit a stage 2 shift kit or would i need a different kit since its a 3 speed trimatic.

And i have a 2 1/2 exhaust on it already would it be worth it if i went 3 inch.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
what carb are you running now?
an impco 425 is an improvement over the snorkel set up.
open up the divider in the intake manifold for LPG.
you'd gain nothing more from upping the exhaust to a 3" unless you went a big cam and a lot of headwork.
a crane 286 is a decent lively cam in a 308

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
shave the heads mate gas runs better on higher compression

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys i am not really sure i just picked it up all i know is the motor was rebuilt not that long ago to suit gas and it has a high stall.

Exhaust is already a 4 into 1 setup with duel 2 and a qaurter i think going into a single 2 1/2 then into what looks like a hot dog and then into a single rear muffler.

But i want to get the exhaust changed to duel 2 1'2 complete into either a 3 inch single or 2 1/2 single with no hotdog and rear muffler.

Would it be worth wild going with either vn cast heads or l34 heads and getting them shaved,milled,port and polished ?

I want to go with a duel plane manifold with a rebuilt qaudrajet with a 1 inch spacer and with the cam i cannot decide if i should go with a solid cam or a hydaulic roller cam ?

I want to get atleast 180rwkw to 200rwkw and a tuff as nails sounding eight which can fry the tyres off quite nice. You guys know what i mean ; )

4wheelinls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ralliart
The VN heads are far superior but require cam, inlet manifold and extractors due to the different valve spacing. If you want a genuine 200 rwkW you will need a better cam than a crane 286, they are oldschool and better camshaft profiles exist now. As you would need a manifold to use the VN heads a single plane is a far better choice than duel plane (divider). You will need a cam of at least 235 degrees at 050 to come close and compression to match, 10.5:1 or so. Personally I think you will struggle with a 425, I ran twin gasresearch carbies on my VN headed VK about 10 years ago and made 218 rwkW and ran 12.7 at 108mph with a T5. I was using a small mechanical camshaft and peak power was at 6500 rpm.

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that mate.

I am thinking Vn heads since ################ say that there the best flowing heads but i am considering either getting the current heads worked or getting brock L34 heads or something like that.

So a duel plane manifold is worst then a single plane ? And isn't the inlet the same thing ?

I am only chasing 200rwkw at most on straight gas. I dont want to go more because i don't want to beef up the gas system for it.

Whats the best sort off setup i could go for because at the moment i am happy with how it sounds but i want it to have more up and go i cant even get it to wheel spin due to the highstall in it. And it has f**K all go.

I am considering removing the clutch fan and replacing it with twin Au thermo fans and also deleting the power steering pump so that i can have less off a load on the motor and be able to run Gilmer belts.

Also if i was to go with a cam and get other things like bigger valves and valve springs what sort off cam type would i need ?

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
mate if ur gna spend the money on l34 heads or getting some work done
its probably just worth getting the stuff to wack the vn ones on
from what ive seen from peoples flow figures and the such the red heads will always be outmatched by the vn heads, it takes alot of work to get a red head to flow asmuch as a vn head

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
you going to use a single plane inlet manifold?
my experiences with straight gas and a twin gas reaseach throttle bodys cost a bit but didn't make huge amounts of power and ended up with a car take couldn't go too far without going to the servo.
hope you got two big gas bottles

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi thanks for that at the moment i am planning on going with vn heads and getting bigger cam and the rest off the top end gear to avoid issues.

Is it worth it getting the vn heads worked ?

Also if i went vn heads do i need to go with a double row timing chain ? How much do they usualy set you back.

And can you get gilmer belts that work with a powersteering pump ?

At the moment it used 1 tank off gas for 260 to 280km's roughly with a few little pokes on the throttle here and there.

I would preffer to avoid using twin carby's and upgrading the lpg system what mods can i do to atleast get another 50 - 100rwkw.