Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cheap race car

HuskeyVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
NONE
hey guys,

one of the guys i used to work with recently bought a gemeni, stripped it doen and did a few small things to it and has been racing it and is having loads of fun doing so.
so i thought i minght try my hand at motorsports. I'm looking for a car thats cheap, easy to get parts for, rwd, has a fair bit of power light as possible (race on a go kart track and hill climbs)

so far ive been looking at Datsun 1200's but im not sure how id go for parts

any other suggestions?

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
What about the boxxy carollas. The last of the rwd ones. They should be cheap as and you can drop a 4age or 4agze motor straight in with little mods to make it work

HuskeyVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
NONE
4age, 4agze motor? haven't heard of them

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
The 4age is a 1.6l twincam engine and the 4agze is the same but supercharged. Both good motors with good power and can be modded.for.a lot.more. ky mate has a 4agze in his gti corolla

HuskeyVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
NONE
you and the rest of the planet.

its called a VL commodore. failing that a S13 silvia failing that you need to look at FWD's.

dont want a commy, too heavy, after a 4 cylinder or a 4 cylinder car with a v6 in it, but id rather go small with forced induction

thanks clint, ill have to look into it

VRV666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 exec, big pajero, 5speed vn v6 play car
dont want a commy, too heavy

Not once theyre been gutted. Then the power to weight is good so youll be able to move along nicely with a standard engine so when it goes pop all you do is get another for a couple hundred and drop it in...... Makes for very cheap motorsport. Trust me ;) Done it in both drags and hillclimb.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
after a 4 cylinder or a 4 cylinder car with a v6 in it, but id rather go small with forced induction

lol. ok. well you sre not looking for anything cheap then?

so as clint says the 4AGE is a great little power house, but the ae86's they came in are starting to get pricey (12-13k) and the ae87 and onwards are front wheel drive (you specified rwd) the old shape MR2 have the Ze's in them but are also around the 12-13k mark.

a NA silvia you can pick up for around 5k here in oz. its rear wheel drive and quite light, so a good start. the SR engines have tonnes of modifications to deliver power depending on your budget 400HP isnt that much of a stretch. my mates delivered 400 and it was a daily and a track car.

datsun 1600's are great, but them, 200B's, 120Y's, gemini's, toranas, etc are all starting to become collectors and then everyone seemed to go front wheel drive for small light cars.

also, dont knock it, but you can get a volkswagon beetle for a good price and they make a brilliant track car

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
the last of the RWD aussie corolla 4 doors are now asking a premium price if they arent completely stuffed. i do love the KE70 and AE71 but they are too much $ and you're usually dealing with rust. i say look at an S13 as there is that much you can do to them, engine swaps the whole deal. lightweight, strip them out and they are lighter again (derp).

if you want to go front drive i say pick up a later corolla with the 4age factory fitted and mod that. or get a sikvic (civic).

dattos are up there in $ for not ####ed ones.